PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using PXI-6682(H) in PXI Express chassis to replace backplane clock

I have a PXI-6682H in a PXIe-1075 which I use for event timestamping.  I also have a PXIe-6672 card in the timing slot.

I would like to replace the 10 MHz backplane clock to use the 6682 as a GPS disciplined oscillator and synchronize multiple PXI chasses.  

I understand from the block diagram in the manual that the PXI-6682H does not possess the connection to directly replace the backplane clock as the PXI-6682 does in a PXI chassis.  

Is there any way for me to replace this clock? Perhaps using an external connection?  If so could you briefly explain how this would work and what software steps would be required?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,965 Views)

Hello gregoryng, 

I think you could find this link useful:

PXI_Clk10 Diciplining and Synchronization Across Multiple PXIe Chassis
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/DF5949190F497AF486257B1A005B02CE?OpenDocument

Regards

Ernesto

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,942 Views)

Thanks for that link.  That is helpful and leads to some other good documentation.

I also saw this demo video which explains a lot of what I wanted to know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjjXLRAnkng

So at this point my remaining question is whether this should work using a PXIe-6672 instead of the PXI-6674T?

From the demo video, it looks like the PXI timing module in the left hand chassis might actually be a PXIe-6672.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,938 Views)

Hello Gregoryng, 

It might work since the PXIe-6672 and the PXIe-6674T are both timing and synchronization modules, but the best option would be the PXIe-6674T, which is able to work with other protocols such as GPS while the  other cannot. It seems that in the video they use GPS. 

I think the PXIe-6672 will not work for this with the PXI-6682H, but you can give it a try.

The one in the video seems to be a PXIe-6674T.

Regards. 

Ernesto.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,920 Views)