From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading/changing operating system for NI PXIe-8115 Real-Time computer

Hi, all.

Some year ago, the laboratory for which I do my research acquired a NI PXIe-8115 real-time system, for usage in applications involving robot control over CANOpen.

The system we acquired came with Phar Lap ETS real-time operating system, which is said to be compatible with DOS and implement a subset of Win32k interface.

The problem is that the lack of a number of kernel32.dll functions prevents me from using some interesting libraries (like LAPACK, ZeroMQ and OpenSim) and system APIs (like file/memory mapping) on my project. That's a heavy constraint for our possibilities and forces me to reimplement a lot of stuff using the limited CVI API.

Besides, Phar Lap ETS is said to be de discontinued, so there is no hope for a new updated version, supporting newer kernel functions and C runtime versions.

A visit to National Instruments products page showed that there is a version of 8115 shipped with Windows XP/7 operating system, but it looks like it doesn't support real-time applications, as there is a RT version as well, for which the operating system is not specified.

Is there a way to upgrade our system to a more modern OS, with broader application support, without losing RT capabilities ? Is there at least a way to change the operating system to conventional Windows in an easy way ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,247 Views)

Just to add: this page shows that there are new ETS operating system version (NI ETS) beyond the last Phar Lap release (13.1). Is there a real difference between them ?

I have LabView 2015 installed on my desktop machine (which communicates with te real-time target) and its real-time module available. According to the mentioned page, I should have NI ETS 2015 available for instalation, but accessing the real-time target through NI-MAX shows that its operating system is still Phar Lap ETS 13.1.

Am I able to upgrade it ?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,235 Views)

Hello, Leonardo.

Regarding the upgrade to a newer version of ETS (NI ETS 2015) I could not find information about new features so far, I'm doing a deeper reaseach about it. A good way to know if those libraries is supported by the new version of OS is to use the DLL Checker 2015.exe, refer to the link below.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0BF52E6FAC0BF9C286256EDB00015230

In case of positive answer, you can update the OS using your host machine and install LabVIEW Real-time 2015.

Another thing I would suggest you is to call us, since you have LabVIEW 2015 and probably you have an active support service. 

Tel: 11 31493149

Regards,

Plínio Costa
Senior Techinical Support Engineer
National Instruments Brazil

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,143 Views)