PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update of software on PXI-8146RT

Hi,

I have an 2001 PXI-8146RT system with LV RT 6.1

I need to update it to 8.5 and I have just one question - will it run with 8.5 on board ?
(as far as I know 8146 had an 266MHz processor and a CF disc)

Regards
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,737 Views)
Hi Jarek,

8.5 isn't support for your controller and I don't believe it will even properly operate on that controller because of the processor architecture. I have heard of version 7.0 on controllers as old as the 8156RT.

Is there a reason you need to upgrade? We might be able to find a workaround that fits your needs.
Sappster
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,723 Views)
Thank you for that info. I suspected that it will not be able to run with 8.5
The chassis has just the 8146 controller and a motion module (as far as I remember a 4 motor controller)

I will ask for a new system but this is going to take about 3-4months.

Can you tell me if it would be possible to change a desktop PC to a RT target that will be using the PXI motion and the
GPIB port of the 8146 remotly ?
(there is 488.2 driver and motion installed 6.1 I guess)
Will I need to use the same version of motion VI's that are on the PXI controller ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,713 Views)
Hi Jarek,

You can set up a PC as an RT system. Here is a link to informatino about the setup:

You will be able to access the 8146 through GPIB and you can use and version of the driver supported by your hardware and compatible with LabVIEW 8.5 if thats the version you are running. I assume it is because you are asking about the Real Time module 8.5.

I don't believe Vision 6.1 is supported in LabVIEW 8.5, but here is some information about a work around if you can't update.

Sappster
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,705 Views)
After some time spend to look deeper into the problem I had found this:
(when I found that a 8145RT is available in the PXI configurator on NI page)

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/5BB4DFD9822B601F86257333005C13C2
RT 8.2.x known issues (applies to 8.5):
- You must enable the W2 hardware jumper to upgrade the RT Engine of an NI PXI-8145RT controller from version 7.1.1 and earlier to version 8.0 or 8.2.x. Refer to the PXI-8140RT Series User Manual for information about the settings and options for the onboard jumpers and switches.

So it looks like I can update that 8146RT somehow.

What do you think about that Mark? Will it work with the latest drivers?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,581 Views)
Hi Jarek,

I believe you are correct. I didn't catch that in the readme. I looked through the installer and ther is a specific installer for 814x so I believe you should be able to install 8.5 as long as you follow those instructions.

I appologize for misleading you. Thank you for showing me that.
Sappster
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,553 Views)