From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronizing Delayed acquisition using 6542 waveform generator and 5922 scope card

I am using a 6542 Waveform generator card to create a sequence of waveforms. After several waveforms are generated I use a strobe line from the generator to trigger an aquisition sequence on two diffferent 5922 scope cards. The 6542 and 5922 then continue to run together until the sequence is complete. I have been able to PLL the clocks on all three cards to the 10MHz reference clock (this is in a PXI chassis). The problem is that I have not been able to generate a synch pulse from the wave form generator that properly synchronizes the starting point of the sample clock of the 5922 scope cards.

I have tried several configurations using TCLK (unsuccessfully) and finally decided that, since I am not starting all of the cards on the same start pulse, a homogeneous trigger will not work. I then attempted to generate a synch pulse with the waveform generator and channeled it through the RTSI0 line. The 5922 cards were configured as slaves and set up the RTSI0 line as the source for the synch pulse. Although I didn't get any errors doing this, the 5922 sample clocks are still not synchronized with the waveform generator (every time the sequence is restarted, the acquisition point can move +/- one reference clock).

I would like to know how to generate a synch pulse using the 6542 (in generation mode) and set up the 5922 scope cards to align the sample clocks with the waveform generator. This needs to work such that when the 5922 aquisition is triggered (using strobe generated by the 6542 waveform generator) the starting read point is always at the same point relative to the waveform generator.    
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,989 Views)
Syncho,

Have you tried using TCLK to align the sample clocks and start triggers then use an exported marker from the 6542 as a reference trigger?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,984 Views)

I tried to use TCLK to align the sample clocks and triggers of all three cards. I get an error after the TCLK synchronize vi that reads:

TCLK TDC was not ready within the specified time ....

If I only put two cards (the 6542 and one 5922) into the session array, then I don't get the error. With only two cards, and no error, the sample clocks still don't appear to be aligned.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,971 Views)