From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronize PXI FPGA 7841 with 4140 Source Meter with trigger

Hi,

I work with a PXI system including a FPGA 7841  and a 4140 Source Meter Unit. The SMU is used to supply a sensor (DC voltage 3.3V) and I implemented an i2c protocol on the FPGA board to communicate with the sensor. Right now I need to trigger the output of the SMU with the FPGA card for a specific application. So I want to send a hardware based trigger signal with the FPGA 7841 and want to wait for e.g. a rising edge with the SMU before turning the supply voltage on.  I tried to implement this by setting the '/PXI1Slot2/PXI_Trig0' on the FPGA board as output and then set the output from low to high. This rising edge I wanted to detect with a DCPOWER VI before starting the output voltage. I couldn’t find a matching example and wanted to ask, if you have any suggestion how I could implement this in a stable way. For the SMU 4140 I use a single point source mode and dc voltage as output function.

Best regards,

Moritz

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,288 Views)

Hi Moritz,

you can have a look to this white paper, explaining how to synchronize PXI modules with the inbuild RTSI with a really basic example:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/67A6D7F36FB9C4C586257974007BA077

Also have a look to the datasheet of the 7841 for more informations about that. 

Hope that helps! 

Certified LabVIEW Architect (CLA)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,254 Views)

Thank you for your fast answer and the link. The tutorial seems just for FPGA cards. On FPGA I implemented it in the same way. Now I just have to figure out how I can read this trigger port 0 on the SMU card 4140. I don't have the possibility to read it like on FPGA. I just have different trigger options like the start, source and meassure trigger. I also don't have an opportunity to check if the trigger works correctly. Do I have to configure the trigger bus and route the backplane of the PXI system? If yes is there any documentation how to route the trigger bus of the backplane?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,243 Views)

Hi Moritz,

Once the signal is on the PXI backpane (means on the Trigger Bus), I think you easily can use it to synchronize the SMU.

You might find some example in the LabVIEW Find Example: Hardware Input and Output > Modular Instruments > Ni-DCPOWER.

You also can have a look to the help of the DCPOWER driver, which provide you a lot of information (look at digital edge, it is talking about the Trigger BUS..):

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370736F-01/ni_dc_power_supplies_help/configuringtriggevents/

If you have the SSP, I suggest you to contact your local NI sales / support.

Hope it helps! 

Certified LabVIEW Architect (CLA)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,190 Views)