PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stressing / Draining Lithium Battery with PXI battery simulator?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have following tools from NI: NI PXIe-1073 and PXIe-4154. Before I was using it as battery simulator to power development boards with power supplied from PXIe-4154.

However, now I would like to drain lithium battery with a certain drain patterns to see the effect on it's battery life. I would like to simulate the load of potential device that the battery will power.

How can I drain actual battery (for example from smartphone) using my battery simulator? Is it possible?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,705 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author armendzh

Hi armendzh,

No, unfortunately it's not. To drain a battery, you need a load, not another battery. The PXIe-4154 operates in 2 quadrants. It can only source, not sink. It can source a positive voltage and current or a negative voltage and current. A sink has negative power, so it must operate in the two other quadrants: positive voltage with negative current, or positive current with negative voltage (p=iv).

What you need for your application is a variable load and something to measure the load and battery with. If you'd like to consult with someone on what to buy, give us a call at 866-275-6964 and create a new service request.

Message 2 of 2
(4,675 Views)