From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single card bringing entire chassis down?

I am developing around a PXI chassis, and seem to be having intermittent communications with 3 of the PXI modules, and none whatsoever with the 4th.  My configuration is as follows:
PXI-1036 driven by benchtop PC with MXI-4 interconnect
Slot 1: PXI-8331 Interface
Slot 2: PXI-4110 DC Power Supply
Slot 3: PXI 6221 Multifunction DAQ
Slot 4: PXI-2501 Switch Module #1
Slot 5: PXI-2501 Switch Module #2
Slot 6 is empty

MAX fails to recognize Switch Module #1.  In fact, when SM#1 is in slot #4, the system does not recognize any of the modules, although the chassis itself still pops up as present.  When SM#1 is removed, MAX locates the remaining 3 modules. 

I also have tried putting SM#1 in slot #6, and the system saw the other 3 modules, but not SM#1.  (I only tries this configuration once). 

I have attempted removing the /data file (as suggested in another post), and have removed reinstalled DAQ-MX (version 8.1), along with NI-POWER and NI_SWITCH.

I have now spent about a day swapping modules around, rebooting my chassis/PC over and over, installing software, etc.  Any and all help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,811 Views)
Hi Chris,

Thankyou for posting on the National Instruments Discussion Forums.

It seems like you have exhausted most debugging tools on this problem. I can only make two suggestions:

- Change the computer the PXI chassis interfaces to - connect the 8331 to another desktop and see if you see the same effect
- Change the PXI chassis if you have another one
- If none of these make any difference, your Switch Module maybe damaged and requires repair. You will need to create a phone support request from ni.com/support in order to get this repair processed. Make sure you have your switch card's serial number at hand when you call in.

Hope this helps!

Abhinav T.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments India

LabVIEW Introduction Course - Six Hours
Getting Started with NI-DAQmx
Measurement Fundamentals
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,795 Views)