PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial port in PXI 8196 is not visible neither accessible through VISA

Hello,
I have PXI 8196 connected to remote PC via desktop publishing . I can not see serial port through either device manager of windows nor through measurement and automation explorer. should i install serial port driver seperately? or what could be the problem?.

ranjini
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,564 Views)
When you refer to desktop publishing, do you mean that you are using Microsoft Remote Desktop to connect to the PXI-8196?  Also, it is a bit unclear which serial ports you are unables to see.  Do you want to see the PXI-8196 serial ports on the local computer, or do you want to see your local serial ports from the PXI-8196?

Remote Desktop has a configuration option that allows your local serial ports to be seen on the remote computer, but not the other way around.  Another option for you is to use Remote VISA in order to connect to the serial ports on the other machine.  NI-Serial only needs to be installed if you are using a NI add-on serial board, and would only need to be on the computer where the board is physically installed.

The following tutorial explains how to configure Remote VISA on your computers:

NI Developer Zone Tutorial: Remote Instrument Control with NI-VISA

Jason S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,543 Views)
Hi,

I plugged a serial card in a PXI (the PXI is connected to a standard PC - Windows XP ).

I would like to see the additionnal serial ports in the device manager of windows. How could I do this?

I can see only them through measurement and automation explorer and NI-VISA.

Thanks,

Mehmet.

Ps : the point is that I have a device connected to the serial cards of the pxi and in this configuration, the software that is used to dialog with this device cannot see the serial port com on which it is connected. Therefore, it can not run properly.

If I plug the device on the serial port com of the PC, the software see the device and runs correctly.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,240 Views)
here is snapshot of the MAX situation..
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,238 Views)
Hello
I took a look at the image you attach. The configuration in MAX is fine.

Your COM ports are part of your remote system and not the system that you are using to remote into the PXI.
You will not be able to move the COM ports from the remote PXI system.

I hope this helps.
Christian A
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,216 Views)