From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for a PCI Simple Communications Controller

I am getting a searching for "PCI Simple Communications Controller" everytime I reboot or restart the machine. I'm using a 8186 with Windows XP SP 2. Afetr that it looks for another PCI driver, to whit I do not recall the name.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(13,807 Views)
After you have booted and cancelled the dialog to find a driver for the PCI Simple Communications Controller, do you see any GPIB devices listed in the Windows Device Manager or in MAX?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(13,805 Views)
Aneton,

I can think of two NI products which identify themselves as "PCI Simple Communications Controller": GPIB cards and CAN cards. Since the 8186 has an integrated GPIB port, this is likely the cause of the message. To correct this, we need to install the driver for the GPIB port. It is called NI-488.2, and the most recent version is 2.1. Here is a link to the driver on our website:

NI-488.2 version 2.1

After installing the driver, reboot the controller. The GPIB port should be detected by the driver now as a PCI-GPIB device if it is the port from the 8186.

Sincerely,

Ross C
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(13,805 Views)
I have just installed windows xp sp2 in a PXI-8186 and after instaling GPIB driver there are 2 devices under "other devices" without drivers and unidentified. What kind of devices are they? drivers??

Lan driver - installed
graphic driver - installed
chipset driver - installed

in the ftp server there are some inf files:

NIWD.INF
NITRIGRT.INF

But system can't recognize them.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(13,747 Views)
Hi Roberto,

You may need to install the NI-VISA driver as well.

NI-VISA 3.2 for Windows

Also, have you tried right-clicking on the .INF files and choosing "install"?

Regards,

Andrew
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(13,731 Views)

Hi, I have a solution.  If you go in device manager, click on the pci simple communications controller, go in property and then go in details.  You will see a code like per example PCI/VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS...

The VEN code means vendor and the DEV code means device: in my case the vendor is 8086 and the device is 27D8.

Once you have the two codes, go to www.pcidatabase.com.  Enter the two codes and you should get the name of your hardware.  From there you can search for a driver download for your hardware.

In my case the pci simple communications controller was a Microsoft UAA Bus HD audio.  I also had another pci device that didn't work properly, using the same method I found out that my pci device was an HSF PCI internal modem with code number CX11252-11.  I had a hard time downloading one of the drivers, after 6 or 7 times the download started so be patient if you have the same hardware.

NOTE: to access the device manager, go in control panel, then performance and maintenance, system, hardware and finally device manager.

Good luck.

Message 6 of 6
(9,259 Views)