PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relationship between slot number shown on PXI chassis and slot/bus number in MAX

For certain PXI card, I can know its bus number and slot number in MAX, like PXI3::9::INSTR. However, what's the relationship with the slot number, which is shown on the panel of PXI chassis(1045) of PXI system(8186)?

Thanks!
Jacky
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,315 Views)

Hello, every NI buddy,

I am ZX, the FSE in China. I have some questions on PXI bus number. These are so emergent that they are related with a 20K USD oppo of PXI.

The hardware configuration: MXI-3 8330 suite, PXI-1042, PXI-6040 DAQ. IPC with 8 slots of PCIs.

Software Configuration: MXI-3 1.15, MAX 4.1, DAQmx 8.0, Labwindows CVI 8.0, Windows XP with SP2

Questions:

1. When I open MAX & check the PXI bus number for different PXI chassis, I find they are different either. For example, one of the chassis shows one PXI bus number #2, while another chassis shows there are 4 PXI buses -- #2,#4,#5,#16.  Is the PXI bus number a constant for a single chassis? Is it corrent that the number dependent of PXI chassis?

2. Since the IPC has 8 slots of PCI, it should have a PCI-PCI bridge on the circuit. There are 2 PCI buses now. Then when we add on MXI-3 to connect with PXI chassis, there are should be 3 PCI buses.  According to the PCI specification, PCI bus doesn't care about the topology of the sub-routines. How does the OS make numbering for these PCI buses?

3. From the Portal, there is a LabVIEW example code for transfer the VISA name if we transfer the code to different target with different PCI bus number. However, the PCI bus number should be determinated by the PCI controller/Mainboard & OS. That means we can not modify it through any software or firmware -- It is obviously we can not change the PXI bus number in MAX.

4. I have tried to modify the PXISys.ini file, however it would be restored to the orignal configuration when I restart the MAX.

5. My aim is that:

(a) the pxi system should be configured as a standard. every board & signal connectivity should fixed. the labwindows code would check the configuration of pxi system -- get the VISA name, not the alliance name.

(b) however we find the bus numbers are different according to different chassis.

(c) so we want to unify the bus numbers on different chassis.

Many thanks for your kind help. Any suggestion or advice is appreciated greatly.

ZX in TJ.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,214 Views)