PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording 8 RS-422 ports simultaneously using PXI-8431/8

Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out what is an efficient way of initializing all 8 ports on a pxi-8431 and capturing the data on all 8 ports to separate files.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,294 Views)
Howdy Minguyen,

Assuming you use a LabVIEW development environment, I would recommend modifying a couple of examples to fit your application. First, take a look at the Basic 2 Port Serial Write and Read.vi located in the NI Example Finder. (Access the NI Example Finder within LabVIEW by navigating to Help»Find Examples.) With the NI Example Finder opened, you can search for serial to bring up the aforementioned example.

Out of the box, this example shows you how to simultaneously read on one serial port while writing to another. You could expand this basic structure to include 8 ports doing whatever (writes or reads) you'd like on each port.

The second example you could combine with the first example is either Write to Text File.vi or Write Binary File.vi. Either of these VI's accomplish the task of writing strings to file. (Recall: The output of the VISA Read is a string.) As with the Basic 2 Port Serial Write and Read.vi, you can access these examples through the NI Example Finder. Just search for write.

I hope this helps!
Warm regards,

pBerg
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,278 Views)
Thanks pBerg! I've done some serial I/O programming but not with 8 ports at once. So I'm not sure if there is some effective way to do this. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,263 Views)