From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RPM

Hi,
i am trying to measure the RPM from a magnetic pick-up sensor & I am using a M-series PCI-6289 in PXI module.
But whenever I use to cennect the input to the counter module it is not able to count the pulses. Please try to explain me how to solve the issue.
cheers,

Mishra
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,749 Views)

Hello Mishal,

The PXI-6289 M Series device has two counters that are capable of counting TTL signals.  To troubleshoot your setup I would first verify that your signal coming from the motor is a proper TLL signal and that pulses are being transmitted.  Next, I would use Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX) to count the pulses to make sure that the your hardware and software is working correctly.  You can test this in MAX by expanding Devices and Interfaces >> NI-DAQmx Devices.  Next select your device and press the Test Panels button.  In the window that appears select the counter tab.  Then select the counter you are using, set the mode to Edge Counting, and specify the source to be PFI8 or PFI 3 (counter 0 gate or counter 1 gate).  Connect your signal to PFI8 (pin 37) or PFI3 (pin 42).

Once you get MAX to count your pulses you should be set to program your software.

Regards,

Jesse O.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments

Jesse O. | National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,739 Views)