PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems directly connecting Windows 7 HP EliteBook to NI PXIe-8135 Embedded Controller

For some reason my computer cannot connect to the NI PXIe-8135 Embedded Controller in my PXIe-1082 chassis. My computer recognizes that there is something there, but it cannot communicate with it (no packets recieved back, but packets sent). I've already checked my firewall settings, network settings, and anything else I could think of that might be preventing me from connecting to it but I have not found a single thing that tells me why I cannot connect.

Any ideas on troubleshooting this problem, or if someone has run into the same problem please let me know - any help is greatly appreciated!

-flynneva

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,840 Views)

Hi flynneva,

Are you using an ethernet cable to connect to your PC? It sounds like you just want to add this chassis to your network just like any other computer (with the embedded controller is a computer). Here is a link to Microsoft's page on this type of connection in case you haven't tried these options: 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305621 

Also, is this embedded computer running Windows or is it a RT controller? What does your computer do to recognize the connection and what are you using to read the data? Can you ping the IP address of the controller and receive a response?

Thanks!

Stephanie S.
Application Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,815 Views)

Hi warEagle12,

Yes it is connected via ethernet to our internal network, and yes it is a RT controller. My colleague can connect to it at his workstation over the network and control it from his PC (i.e. write a labview rt program and compile and run it on the RT controller), but for some reason my computer cannot connect to it. I have tried re-installing Labview, changing my network settings to every concievable setup I could think of, connecting to it directly by typing in the IP address, but nothing works.

I can ping it, which shows to me that I have a connection but I just do not have the right software/drivers needed to recognize it. I've tried re-downloading all the necessary drivers and software needed but still nothing works.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,810 Views)

Hi flynneva,

Thank you for the response. Are you able to see your system in Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX) from your PC? You may need to change your firewall configuration. Here is a KnowledgeBase Article that discusses this in a bit more detail:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/24D16468DE8838B2862568E200746D7E?OpenDocument

Also, how is the IP configured on your host and on your target? Are they DHCP or static? Are they on the same subnet?

Thank you!

Stephanie S.
Application Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,800 Views)