From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe-4461 AO minimum Vp setting

I am probably being a tad dense in all of this but what is the minimum output voltage that I can set on the PXIe-4461? Just a basic sinewave at 1KHz. I am setting the attenuation to 40 so the full scale for that range is +/-100mV. I have seen (and verified) the calculations that the AO accuracy in this range is ~1.5mV. While I am at it, what is the minimum step size in this range -- I need to perform an adjust to reach on a signal. What is the minimum step size possible? The calibration procedure "only" tests the output to 90mV for acceptance, so anything less than that is, perhaps, suspect?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,568 Views)

As this uses a delta sigma converter, you get 24-bits of resolution converting from an analog signal to digital.  This means that at full scale +/- 10V (20V span) you get the following resolution: [ 20V / 2^(n-1) ] where n is the 24 bits.  The result is 1.192uV resolution.  This signal resolution is almost 90,000 times smaller than your sensitivity level meaning that you have about 16-bits being ignored for your check.  That is a gross functional test ignoring over 65% of capability.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,526 Views)
Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,497 Views)