PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI64HANG

Solved!
Go to solution

NI posted the following warnings earlier this year but did not provide any details about the symptoms of this hang. 

Possible System Hang with Third Party PXI Modules for some NI PXI Systems with a 64-bit Operating System

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/85A51FFABE5C17F886257995001AF369?opendocument&Submitted&&...

Product Notification: Possible System Hang with Third-Party PXI Modules

http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/6C2BC403421708B5862579BF006E2D0B

Would this produce a warning in LabVIEW, a Windows pop-up, or a system crash? Would this error occur in the background or only during instrument communication? Would this cause other LabVIEW or TestStand processes to hang or just PXI communcation?

I don't want to take production systems down for a driver upgrade if it's not necessary. So I would appreciate the feedback of anyone that has experienced this issue first hand.

Thanks!!!

Sam Broyles

Staff Test Engineer

INOVA Geophysical

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,314 Views)

Hi Sam,

From what I read at the link that you posted, there is a possibility for a system crash, when a PXI-1 or hybrid-compatible PXI module attempts 64-bit memory addressing transactions with the listed chassis. I believe this is irrespective of what Application Development Environment (ADE) that you use. If you believe your system is vulnerable to this problem, I would recommend the driver upgrade.

Tunde S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,278 Views)

Tunde,

I have not seen a system crash, but I would like to know if this problem could produce more subtle symptoms. For example, could background communication to the PXI cause other LabVIEW/TestStand operations to be interrupted or delayed? Or would this be limited to LabVIEW/TestStand operations that perform measurements with a PXI instrument. 

Thanks!!!

Sam Broyles

Staff Test Engineer

INOVA Geophysical

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,271 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sam.broyles

Sam,

If you trigger this problem it's not subtle.  It will stop communication to anything in the PXI chassis, which bluescreens or hangs the system (assuming you are using something in the chassis).  It doesn't happen every time there's a 64-bit address on the bus, but when it does you'll have a hard time missing it.

- Robert

Message 4 of 5
(4,257 Views)

Thanks Robert,

That is the detail I wanted to see. I have yet to see a blue screen or loose communication with the chassis.

Sam Broyles

Staff Test Engineer

INOVA Geophysical

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,253 Views)