From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI processor capability

I am looking to implement the PXI controller which contains the pentium M 2.5 GHz processor. My application for this module is to real time monitor sensors at atleast 5KHz of sampling frequency. I was wondering if the PXI controller is suitable for such an application esp at 5KHz and whether its processor can handle this in real time. Also what if more than one channel is to be used due to having various sensors, then how many channels maximum could be supported with the PXI controller if each channel is to be run at 5KHz. also are there any case studies out there on applications having high sampling rate and using the PXI? Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,987 Views)
You can easily get 5K on a DAQ board, RT or not, for monitoring applications.

If you are trying to get one sample at a time (no buffering), useful for PID applications, rates are much slower and system dependant. However, with the processor you mentioned, you should be able to get 5K with at least 8 channels.

I hope this helps,

Message 2 of 5
(2,968 Views)
Thanks for that. it helps.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,965 Views)
Just on another thought, why couldnt i use FieldPoint instead of the PXI? More information on my application is that i have a sensor. i attach a DAQ card which continuously samples at 5KHz. i want an embedded processor to check that if a ceratin value is reached then gather 10000 samples before the event and 500 samples after the event and display on a remote PC somewhere on the same network (ethernet). the sampling rate of 5KHz is of main concern if the embedded processor can handle this plus its OS and any other software. so is the PXI processor i mentioned still the way to go or can FieldPoint handle this as well esp for 8 channels each at 5KHz. thanks
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,964 Views)

Unfortunately you cannot achieve those rates with Fieldpoint, but if you are looking for a smaller system you could look into cRIO.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/925a7c29b99be5c286256ee40079f0b8

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,957 Views)