PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI cards in a CompactPCI rack?

Apologies if this has been asked before.  I have tried searching but couldn't find the answer.

Would all PXI cards work (at least in a basic way) in a CompactPCI rack?  We have been using a CompactPCI rack for previous test systems.  We're now building a new system, and there's an obvious temptation to re-use the CompactPCI rack that we've used before.  However, I want to ensure that we have the option to add PXI functionality to the rack as future requirements evolve.

I am aware that we could lose card-to-card triggering abilities, but would some cards refuse to work at all?

Also - Does a PXI rack function fully if a CompactPCI controller is used?  I may be able to make a better case for buying PXI racks if we can re-use the existing controllers.

Thanks to all for replies. 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,844 Views)

Hi

All PXI cards should work with the compact PCI chassis. Refer to this for details.

With regards to the compact PCI controller in a PXI rack, theroretically this is possible, however it has never been tested.

Regards

Beejal

Beejal S
NI UK & Ireland
Message 2 of 5
(3,836 Views)
Many thanks for your reply.

Is there a means of wiring the trigger lines across the front panels of PXI cards if we need this functionality in the future?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,833 Views)

Hi

You can wire trigger lines across the front panel as long as the card supports an external trigger.

Another option would be to use the RTSI connection on the compact PCI. If you use this you need to make sure it is enabled in MAX and you will need to specify which RTSI line to route the trigger signal through.

Regards

Beejal

Beejal S
NI UK & Ireland
Message 4 of 5
(3,830 Views)
Brillant, thanks very much.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,823 Views)