PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI RT Engine Boot Failed

I want to use PXI-8156 computer as a target to run RT Engine. I would use it for data aquisition (from other devices like cameras connected to this PXI). RT host computer would be another computer on the same subnet which would process all the obtained data.

I created RT PXI boot disk (in MAX) and rebooted the computer to start RT engine. When the computer rebooted (from floppy disk), I got:

LabVIEW RT Boot Loader
      Searching hard disk for boot program... failed.
      Searching floppy disk for boot program... found.
      Starting application
      SMC9x Ethernet found

Initializing network... Warning KERNEL.346543: eth-smc9: Initialization Failed

The boot is halted at this point.

Hardware Information:

RT Target:
  • PXI-8156
  • Lab View 6.1
  • Lab View RT 6.1
  • IP: 193.2.72.231
  • Operating system: Windows 95
RT Host:
  • PC
  • Lab View 6.1
  • Lab View RT 6.1
  • IP 193.2.72.233
  • Operating System: Windows 98

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,065 Views)
The first thing I would check would be to make sure you have an PXI-8156B instead of a PXI-8156. The PXI-8156B was the first PXI controller to support RT. The PXI-8156 was earlier than that and does not support RT. I believe it is a hardware difference so there isn't anything that can be done either. You can check here for more information on PXI controllers. Also FYI, similar to setting up a desktop PC as an RT target you would also need a LabVIEW Real-Time Deployment License for NI PXI Controllers (RT OS license) if the controller was not purchase as an RT controller originally.

Regards,

JR A
Message 2 of 4
(4,060 Views)
Thank you for your help. We found out that we use PXI-8156, which doesn't support RT-engine.

Because of the poor hardware capabilities (slow processor, lack of RAM) we still want to create a data aquisition system that would process aquired data remotely (a better PC on the same subnet). As we found out, one way to do that is by using RDA (Remote Device Access), which works without problems.

But the problem still remains: Windows loads many drivers that we don't need. It might be better to use DOS or some NI operating system.

Do you have any suggestions, how we could achieve remote processing or remote access via ethernet on current hardware?

Hardware specification:
  • PXI-8156 (233 MHz , 32Mb RAM)
  • PXI-1000 case (box)
  • DAQscope 5102 (oscilloscope)
  • 4060 Digital Multimeter
  • MIO 6070E (multifunction input-output)
  • IMAQ 1408 (Image aquisiton)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,972 Views)
Hi ValentinB,

Looking at the modules you are using we can determine the Operating Systems based on the drivers that are available. The limiting factor would be your IMAQ 1408. The drivers for this device are only supported in Windows 95 and later. Most of your other boards are also limited to Windows.  I hope that this will help you.

Regards
Krista S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,918 Views)