PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI 8360 compatible chassis

I have a legacy system that I'm looking at upgrading by removing the embedded controllers and replacing with a desktop PC via MXI connection.  Due to the large amount of wiring, a minimal amount of hardware changing is required.  The intention was to use a hybrid star connection, because 2 chassis are tied together to do 1 function and the 3rd chassis does another function.

The first PXI controller to replace is in a PXI-1000 chassis which is connected via MXI-3 to a PXI-1000B
The second PXI controller to replace is in a PXI-1002 chassis.

Can I use the PXI-8360 (MXI-Express) in the PXI-1000 and PXI-1002 chassis or do I have to use a MXI-4 controller, either the 8331 or 8336?

Thanks,

Adam
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,939 Views)
Hi Adam,

As long as you have the PXI 8360, you should be able to use it in any of your current PXI chassis.  The PXI 8360 is MXI express, but interfaces with a regular PXI chassis and a regular PXI controller slot.  The PXIe 8360 interfaces with a PXIe chassis such as the PXIe-1062Q.  So, you should be fine for your setup with your current chassis.  Just remember that the 8360 is MXI Express, and will need either an ExpressCard slot on your laptop, or PCI Express slot on your PC to interface on the other end.

Hope this helps!

Adam W
Applications Engineering
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,933 Views)