PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI 8331 connectivity problems

I am using a PXI 8331 inside of the PXI-1042Q chassis.  I have NI-VISA and NI MAX installed.  I'm using a serial-to-USB adapter to connect my PC to the MXI card.  The 8331 is the only card inside the chassis at the moment.  I have no connetivity (link light is not lit).  I don't see any MXI devices in device manager and I only see the serial-to-USB adapter (listed as a COM port) in NI MAX under "Devices and Interfaces".  Does anyone have any ideas as to what my problem is?  This is my first foray in the PXI system, so it could be something obvious, but I've been through every document I can find and I can't seem to find the problem.  Thanks in advance.

Brandon

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,437 Views)

Brandon,

Do you have PXI Platform Services installed?

http://www.ni.com/download/pxi-platform-services-14.0/4897/en/

Regards,

Regards,

Kristen M

Automated Test Product Marketing Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,423 Views)

Ah!  Something I neglected to mention: after unzipping "nipxips1400"  I get the following error and the application looks like this (see included picture).  I can click on anyone of the buttons, but then it just closes.  I assume it's Win7 compatible (x64), so I'm curious why it's failing.  Ever seen this before?  Thanks again!

Brandon

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,419 Views)

Brandon,

Looks like this has come up before. Take a look at this post: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabWindows-CVI/Encountered-an-improper-argument/td-p/2383778

Regards,

Regards,

Kristen M

Automated Test Product Marketing Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,413 Views)

I reran setup.exe in the manner described and everything seemed to go as expected.  After a reboot, I still don't see any new PCI devices in Device Manager, the link LED is not illuminated (just PWR), and no devices are listed in NI MAX.  I guess the last thing to do is call NI (according to the post), unless you've got any more ideas.  Again, I appreciate your efforts!

Brandon

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,391 Views)

Brandon,

The PXI-8331 connector isn't a serial port.  It must be connected to a PCI-8331 (or another PXI-8331 if daisy chaining chassis).  It won't work any other way.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,387 Views)

That's it then.  I inherited all this, but apparently not the PCI card.  Thanks for pointing this out!

Brandon

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,382 Views)