From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-8231 version difference + only seen in PXI Safe Mode

Hello,

I have a PXI-8106 with the PXI-8231 card. We've used this setup before in our project where the two NICs are on different subnets and everything works great. However this time around, we can only see the 8231 in safemode. Once taken out of safemode into regular RT, the PXI doesn't even recognize the 8231 card (as seen through it's monitor video output).

We are using RT 8.2.1. I'm wondering if somehow we didn't get a RT 2009 and newer PXI-8231 card.

How can you tell by looking at the card which version it is? Here is the info from the card:

PXI-8231-8232
M/N: PXI-8231
P/N: 189140D-01L
S/N: 18C87CB

What would happen if we put the newer version of the card for RT 2009+ in a system running LabVIEW RT 8.2.1?

What else might cause the 8231 to show up only in safemode (both when drivers are installed and after reformatting)?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,248 Views)

UPDATE:

Upon further experimenting, it turns out that the PXI-8231 card disappears in regular mode (non-safe mode) after installing LabVIEW RT 8.2.1 on the PXI. It still shows in safe mode. If you uninstall RT from MAX, the card appears again. This seems to confirm that we received the newer version of the PXI-8231 card (the one for RT 2009+). I tried another 8231 card that we had, and it didn't work, however it's part numbers matched the original one we were having problems with.

As mentioned in the OP, we have used several of the 8231 cards with no issues. We previously compared the PN's on those and they were all different from each other, while still being the 8231. Hopefully the solution is as simple as replacing the incorrect card with the correct version.

However, I still do not know how to verify from the card itself, which version of 8231 we have.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,232 Views)

Hello RMaso,

The D in the part number indicates that you have a Revision D version of the PXI-8231 and contain the Intel 82541PI chip. As listed in the manual for the device, http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/372287b.pdf, these devices are listed as requiring LabVIEW RT 2010 or higher. Using the device with a version of RT prior to 2010 is not supported and National Instruments can not guarantee the device will function as intended. 

Jonathan L.
Technical Support Senior Group Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,199 Views)