PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-5404 brand new, out of tolerance frequency

We are finding many of these are coming in new and failing frequency.  The original "old" spec was ±20 hz, the updated newer spec has been relaxed to ±60 hz.   We've also found the Hungary ESZ lab will test cards as good, while our tests at 2 separate locations show them as bad.  Is anyone else having issues with these?  This is not a one off problem, we have many examples.  We are using NI Cal Exec software to test them, which should be the same thing they are using. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,601 Views)

Hi Freeschwag,

Could you specify which board revisions and firmware versions of the 5404 you are using (should be in the MAX entries for each card), and the version of CalExec you are using? I can dig into this with our R&D teams for CalExec and Signal Generators and see if this is a known quality issue or something we're missing in software.

Best,

Daniel Kapulkin

Applications Engineer | National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,539 Views)

I cannot find any reference to board and firmware revisions in NIMAX. You maybe able to glean that from factory records with serial 1A8F6F2.  CalExec version 3.6.0.0.

Is the firmware user upgradable? There is resistance to doing firmware upgrades at this company, but I'm slowly convincing them that removing software bugs is beneficial.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,530 Views)

Freeschwag,

The firmware can be automatically updated by the host computer's driver if the driver release is later than the shipped firmware. Depending on the card, sometimes this has to be done manually. I am not yet sure which the case is for the 5404.

May I ask where you are seeing that the spec was relaxed from 20Hz to 60Hz? In the most recent version of the CalExec help, I still see the absolute accuracy coefficient for the limit test as 20Hz. Is this the spec you are referring to?

PXI-5404 Calibration Procedure

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/374564H-01/calexec/procedure_5404/

In the 5404 Specifications document, I was unable to find an explicit reference to a 20Hz or 60Hz frequency accuracy spec. Were you referring to something else listed here?

NI PXI-5404 Specifications

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/373315e.pdf

Thanks,

Daniel Kapulkin

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,520 Views)

Hi Freeschwag,

This type of question would actually best be handled via Service Request, so a dedicated engineer can follow up with your particular case, and can bring in additional resources to discuss potential fixes or updates for the CalExec environment. You can create a new Service Request from the Service Request Manager at ni.com/support. In your initial email, please provide the reference number 3035024, so that the engineer you work with has access to all of my notes and can help you resolve this issue quickly.

Thank you,

Daniel Kapulkin

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,498 Views)