From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-4496 acquisition on Linux Ubuntu

Hi,

I'm using Ubuntu 14.0.4.

I wat to acquire signals in real time from the PXI-4496 so that I can redirect them, with a piping, to the input of a executable (code written in C). I'm using a MXI-4 PXI-8336 controller which is linked to my PC.
I saw that PXI-4496 doesn't support Daqmx for linux, so I decided to use NI Measurement Hardware DDK, but there are no example programs and register objects for this type of device.
I know that maybe I should run labview RT or Labwindows/CVI RT on windows OS (I do have Windows Vista in the same PC), but I'm having trouble to compile and link some libraries from my C program in windows. So, does anyone have any suggestions on what is the best thing to do ? I am not good in hardware and in lower level codding, so I can possibly have missunderstood something.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,034 Views)

OJess wrote:

I'm using Ubuntu 14.0.4.

I want to acquire signals in real time from the PXI-4496 so that I can redirect them, with a piping, to the input of a executable (code written in C). I'm using a MXI-4 PXI-8336 controller which is linked to my PC.

I saw that PXI-4496 doesn't support DAQmx for linux, so I decided to use NI Measurement Hardware DDK, but there are no example programs and register objects for this type of device.
I know that maybe I should run LabvVIEW RT or LabWindows/CVI RT on Windows OS (I do have Windows Vista in the same PC), but I'm having trouble to compile and link some libraries from my C program in windows. So, does anyone have any suggestions on what is the best thing to do? I am not good in hardware and in lower level codding, so I can possibly have missunderstood something.

I don't have an answer, but I have some information and a recommendation.

Your evaluation of DAQmx and the MHDDK is correct -- the NI 4496 is not supported in DAQmx 8.0.2 for Linux nor is it supported by the MHDDK. There is no Linux driver for this device.

You mention wanting to use real-time... If you need deterministic behavior, then you should continue troubleshooting your C library linking problems. If you just need live and best-effort data (so gaps are ok) for your post-processing, then a simple C program on Windows will suffice. If you provide a brief description of what you're measuring and how you want to process the data, then the others here should be able to give you more direct guidance.

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,028 Views)

Hi JoeFriedchicken !

Thank you very much for your answer ! I am trying to acquire signals from some microphones at 48kHz sampling rate. I am going to use these signals to identify the sound source position in real time. I process them in blocks of 30 seconds.

I don't know if these information were helpful, but Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,983 Views)