PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-4071 Volts DC ranges above 10V range, including Auto Range, are not working

I am an NI newby. About a month ago I inherited a test system with a NI PXI foundation and have been tasked with getting it into production. It is failing its Self Test. Thanks to the online info I have found I been able to get to the place where I have determined the PXI-4071 Volts DC ranges above 10V range, including Auto Range, are not working. Readings are fine in ranges below 100V.

This system had been in storage for a couple of years. So I was wondering if some loss of configuration/programming info could cause this? Or is this definitely a hardware failure?

Thanks,

Don Roby

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,057 Views)

One tidbit I forgot to include, the unit does pass self-test. Should self-test fail due to the conditions I have described?

Thanks again,

Don Roby

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,052 Views)

Hi draqce

I hope everything is fine I have some information and a couple of questions for you.

Did you install de DMM Driver? After that are you using DMM Soft Front Panel? And When you tried to use the self test can you see an error code or something like that?  

On the other hand I have investigated about the range error and I found one document that says this:

NI has recently discovered that some NI digital multimeters (DMMs) purchased between August 1, 2012, and April 15, 2014, may violate their accuracy specifications when operating in higher ranges. The table below shows the affected devices, modes, and ranges:

DC Voltage                100 V, 300 V    100 V, 300 V        100 V, 1000 V

AC Voltage                 20 V, 300 V    —    50 V, 700 V

Resistance                100 MÙ            100 MÙ                100 MÙ, 5 GÙ

This document recommend that you may return your device to NI for repair and recalibrate and this is the phone number to RMA 877 493 2406

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,042 Views)

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Regarding your questions:

Did you install de DMM Driver?

No, I did not personally install any drivers. I inherited the machine and it is supposed to be fully functional. So I am working on the assumtion that all necessary drivers are installed.

After that are you using DMM Soft Front Panel?

Yes. I have seen the same reults from the program and the DMM Soft Front Panel.

And When you tried to use the self test can you see an error code or something like that?  

The Self Test responds with "Passed".

Regarding the info you provided, I currently have no info regarding the date of manufacture for the module. But I will look into that. Regardless, I am currently waiting on a quote from NI for for a repair and recalibrate. However, in my case it seems to be more than an issue of accuracy, the readings just appear to be floating around zero.

Thanks again!

Don Roby

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,931 Views)

Actually you can see the last external calibration of your device in NI-MAX. I am going to attach one link where you can see the place for seeing that information.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2A2B57C86913033886257D6200675B9D (option 3)

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,915 Views)