From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-1082 LabView RT Power control

I have a PXIe-1082 with labView RT enbedded deep within a rack.  The power switch is difficult to reach.

Can the power simply be cut and reapplied without corruption of the operating system and files?  It can be assumed that I would deactivate any running VIs of course prior to removal of power.

If there's a remote power control (Not software based) capability, that would also be an option.  The remote inhibit function doesn't look (From reading the user manual) like it would act the same as the front power switch (Safe shutdown).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,768 Views)

Hi xl600,

It is not good practice to cut the power to shut down the controller. Below is a link to a KnowledgeBase article which discusses Remote Power of a Chassis:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/FF5AB8BB6A1157DB8625756D00502D55?OpenDocument

The solution to the following forum post also provides some further information:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Remote-startup-and-shutdown-of-of-PXIe-controller-running/td-p/24496...

Hope this helps!

Julia P.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,742 Views)

Neither of those links indicates a method for safely shutting the power off when access to the power button isn't available.  This seems like a major shotcoming.  My rack design uses a Virginia panel interconnect system where the chassis is mounted in a rack behind a pile of cables.  This is the only solution for adding a high reliability disconnect.

I can wire pretty much anything to the outside of the rack, but it looks like the manual mode inhibit doesn't work to signal a safe shutdown.  Seems like there's not much use for the inhibit then other than for power up.

Cutting the power is the only option as a result.  What can I do with LV RT to ensure this doesn't result in system corruption?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,720 Views)

Hi xl600,

I would like to echo Julia’s comments that it is not advised to cut power to the controller. We have seen corruption issues cutting power to the controller while the system is booting. If the system is booted and all applications, all VIs running, on the controller are stopped then cutting power may not cause OS corruption; however, we cannot guarantee this and would not recommend this.

Kale W.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,703 Views)

I don't know what to do then.  I cannot access the power button without disassembling the rack.  I'm looking for ideas...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,701 Views)