PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of USB Ports on Controller

I am trying to select a controller for a RT system roll out.  We will be using USB cDAQ chassis for higher channel densities (30-120 channels).  My program does not need much computer power, so processor/memory wise a lower budget controller will work.  I may need more than two USB cDAQ chassis however.  Is a 4-6 port PXI controller USB bus going to be any better than a 2 port with an external hub for my application?

Should I be considering USB 3.0 for future cDAQ USB chassis?  Will I see a performance improvement on current cDAQ USB chassis with USB 3.0 over USB 2.0?

Thank you.

Programming Data Acquisition and Control in Measurement Studio and Labwindows/CVI
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,004 Views)

Hello SCXI_and_MS_2k3-VB.NET,

In general, NI USB products have been developed for use with USB2 ports and USB2 bandwidth. Using these USB devices with a USB3 port offers no advantages. We actually recommend using our USB DAQ products with USB2 ports because that is what they were designed for. Also we highly recommend avoiding the use of USB hubs. These devices may cause all sorts of strange behavior by limiting bandwidth and/or current to the attached USB devices. So I would recommend one dedicated USB port per USB device.

However those are general suggestions and I do not know the details of your application. I recommend you contact the NI technical sales representatives using the “Contact Us” link at the top of this webpage. They can discuss the details of your application and make more thorough recommendations.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,986 Views)