cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noob mistake, help

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

My name is Galo, I'm a engineering student. For a communications lab we use a PXIe-1075 chassis with PXIe-8133 embedded controller.

I made a mistake while trying to operate the equipment. It's running Windows XP, and I thought it would be a bright idea to update the drivers with Driver Booster. 

Yeah, no so miuch.

An error came up and it says I corrupted pci.sys file in the drivers folder.

It says I can try reparing it with the original XP OS disc. I didn't have a USB CD-ROM drive so I tried with the XP iso image loaded onto a flash drive.

When it tries to boot from the flash drive it jjust shows a blinking underscore character in the upper left-hand of the screen?

I could really appreciate some pointers, a life raft, anything you got, heheh.

I thought about about buying a 40 dollar Cd-Rw Drive

Any other ideas?

Help!

Galo

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,189 Views)

Hi Galo

if you have the original disc and serial, then, you can try to reimage it, given that XP is not supported anymore by Windows, I would leave it as the last option.

What if you try to reinstall the PXI driver and assign it manually if needed on the Windows Device Manager, the driver for the chassis and the controllers is the PXI Platform services, look for one that supports Windows XP, the labview version installed on the system and both devices

From thisNI PXI Platform Services Hardware Support

NI PXI Platform Services Hardware Support - http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/52865/en/

it seems that pretty much any version will support the hardware, look for one supported on XP and compatible with Labview.

I did not get any life raft left but I hope this help, If you attach an image of the error, NI MAX or anything related, it could give more insight to help you.

Message 2 of 5
(3,147 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author gracken

Hi, yeah didn't see your response in the mail 'till just now.

I'm attaching the error that I got.

The problem with your suggestion is that Windows would not load at all. Not even in safe mode.

Would have had to maybe boot with a recovery console image on a flashdrive and replace the file, maybe?

Anyway, turns out pressing F8 and restarting with the last known configuration did the job.

Easy peasy, feeew.

Went out and bought the external cd drive, needlessly.

But thanks for your advise, made it ashore alright, heheh.

I'll keep the link you sent in mind.

Cheers!

Galo

Pd: What is NI Max for?

Again, I'm noob, :).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,135 Views)

PXIe-8133 controllers also ship with a recovery partition on the hard drive. See the "Hard Drive Recovery" section in Chapter 2 of the NI PXIe-8133 User Manual.

Also keep in mind that NI software support for Windows XP ended on July 1, 2016, so if you're upgrading NI drivers you'll have to use the latest version from before that date. (For example, for NI-DAQmx the last version to support Windows XP is 15.5.)

For your last question: NI MAX is a program that provides access to NI hardware. See What is Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX)?

——
Brandon Streiff
ni.com/compactdaq · ni.com/daq
Message 4 of 5
(3,128 Views)

Hi,

Yeah, you're right. It comes with the Acronis True Image Recovery partition.

I wanted to leave that as a last resort just because that would have deleted everything.

But pressing F8 at start-up and using the last viable configuration from the menu did the job.

Sorry for not responding sooner. Thank you for your time.

I'd love to upgrade the system to Windows 7 at least, it's just that we're not sure if we would find the drivers for the modules already installed in the chassis.

Thanks again..

Galo

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,028 Views)