From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI PXI-PCIe 8361 card not detected

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Community,

I am trying to get the following PXI system up and running on a computer running Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit. We already have a duplicate system up and running on another computer running Windows XP 32-bit.

NI PXI-1036 Chassis

NI PXI-8360 Controller connected to the PC via the NI PXI-PCIe 8361 card

NI PXI-6220 Multifunction DAQ

NI PXI-2570 Relay Module

NI PXI-GPIB

I spent a day or two trying to download various drivers, and was able to see the NI PXI-PCIe 8361 card in NI Max, but I could not see the actual Chassis. I then tried uninstalling all NI software, so that I could carefully make sure it was installed in the appropriate order:

1. Shutdown the PC and PXI system, disconnected the PXI system from the PC.

2. Installed Labwindows + Labview (Developer Suite 2011)

3. Installed NI PXI Platform Services CD that came with the PXI system (Version 3.2.3)

4. Installed "NI System Driver Set 2014.05" from a flash drive that came with the PXI System

5. Shutdown the PC, then powered on the PXI system and connected it to the Computer.

After turning on the PC, I can see that NI MAX does not seem to even recognize the NI PXI-PCIe 8361 card as I was able to previously.

At this point, I thought it would be better to ask the community for help rather than to start abritrarily updating drivers again.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(11,350 Views)

Hi Chris,

Good idea posting.  I'd recommend upgrading PXI Platform Services to the most recent version, which you can find online--http://www.ni.com/download/pxi-platform-services-14.1/5230/en/

Hopefully getting the most recent version will resolve the issue, but if not, there's also a good MXI troubleshooting guide that you can take a look at--http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/484F81E6570AD803862569ED007AAA41

Andy G
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
Message 2 of 12
(11,292 Views)

I am having the same problem with upgrading from a five year old PC with Windows XP OS to a new PC with Windows 7 Professional 32-bit.

NI PXI-1033 Chassis connected to the PC via the NI PXI-PCIe 8361 card.

The system comes up but MAX does not recognize that a the PXI-1033 is attached.  The Link light on the Chassis is in a constant state of alternating green and red vs. solid green at idle on the working system.  Unfortunately, this is a legacy system running on Labview 8.6 so I am unsure if a Platform Services upgrade to 14 is workable.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(11,284 Views)

Thanks for the reply!

It looks like upgrading PXI Platform Services helped me to detect the NI PCIe-8361in MAX, but it still doesn't show the chassis. I'll take a look at the MXI troubleshooting guide and see if that can get me the rest of the way.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(11,268 Views)

Haven't had any better luck with the guide. Looking back at my original post, I didn't mention that the Power light on the NI PXI-8360 is on, but the Link light is not.

I've triple checked to make sure the cable is connected correctly on both sides, and made sure to power the Chassis up before the PC.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(11,264 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris15

Sure thing Chris!  Hm that's interesting.  It sounds like this could be a BIOS issue, according to the following article--http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/81A788D0076390FA86257BF9002F9983?OpenDocument.  The link also suggests some BIOS update troubleshooting steps.  Hopefully this directs you toward a resolution.

Andy G
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
Message 6 of 12
(11,247 Views)

Chris,

If the link LED isn't on then it's not software or BIOS (unless the LED is burned out; or the MXI BIOS compatibility switch is set, in which case you'd simply need to flip it back or install the MXI BIOS Compatibility software).  Can you find the part number of the PCIe board?

IcyMountain,

The LED behavior you describe sounds like a bad cable.  Early cables could be plugged in upside down, which would deform the D-shell a little and make it easier the next time.  Look closely at how the two sides are connected, because that gives the LED behavior you described.

- Robert

Message 7 of 12
(11,244 Views)

It is not the cable.  I removed the W7 PC, reinstalled the 8361 back in the old XP PC and everything works perfectly.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(11,225 Views)

Thanks for the help Andy and Robert!

It turns out installing the BIOS Compatibility Software and flipping DIP Switch 1 to ON per the readme did the trick.

Before I uninstalled all the National Instruments Software I had tried installing the BIOS Compatibility Software, but in my haste I didn't read that I needed to flip the DIP switch on the PCIe card as well.

Looks like everything is working now, thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(11,214 Views)

Great to hear Chris!  Glad to be of assistance.

Andy G
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(11,209 Views)