PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI PXI-1033 Is not being recognized by Windows or MAX

I am a technician trying to help out a faculty member who uses this product.  The computer he is trying to connect the NI PXI-1033 Chassis to is brand new running windows vista.  The device doesn't show up in the MAX software, and there seems to be an error in the windows device manager that I am unable to fix.  The problem is very similar to the one discussed in the following thread
http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=270&message.id=3423&query.id=122426#M3423
except that this computer will still boot.  The software has been installed, but the computer is recognizing the device as a standard PCI to PCI bridge, and the known driver for that won't work.  When I try and point to a specific driver in the National Instruments/PXI folder, it still won't work.  Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,472 Views)

Hi rlwells,

Thank you for contacting National Instruments via our discussion forums.  In order to figure out what the exact issue is, I will need a little more information.  What particular driver are you trying to use, and what version of NI-VISA is on your computer?  Also, what version of MXI are you using (MXI-3,4 or express)?  MXI-3 is actually not supported for Windows Vista, so it will not work.  If you are using MXIexpress, the type of computer is important because only particular ones are compatible.  The following article brushes on many of the common MXI express support issues: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/81CBF2F7F0BAEDBD86257330000514DF?OpenDocument

In terms of the standard PCI-to-PCI bridge that appears in device manager, does it show up with a yellow exclamation point next to it?  If not, the drivers have associated properly, and you should be able to see the MXI card as well.  If there is a yellow exclamation point, then you should try right clicking on it and selecting 'update driver'.  Once it is detected properly, you should be able to identify the PXI system as an external controller in MAX and see any modules in it.

Let me know exactly what you are seeing right now.  It is difficult to pinpoint the exact problem without more details, so it might be beneficial to call in to our phone support at 1-866-275-6964.  Otherwise, try to give me as much information as possible, and I will see what I can do.

Regards,

Lauren L.

Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,462 Views)