PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Max "loses" instruments when test is uninstalled which forces a reboot next time the test needs to be run

I am trying to find root cause of an issue where I can load my app and execute it multiple times without issue. When I close my app, sometimes NI max no longer lists any instruments. This causes a failure the next time I load my application. The only way to correct this is to reboot the system.  I have stepped through my app and am reasonably certain that all references/handls are being closed.  Any other suggestions on what to look for? I attached screen shots of the NI max error message and NI max show all the inst and showing no inst.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,458 Views)

What app are you closing? Is this a VI in LabVIEW? If so, how are you closing LabVIEW?

Also, I cannot see the screenshots that you attached. Could you please attach them again using the Insert/edit image button in the post editor?

Thanks,

Brian H. -- Electronics & Measurements Product Marketing Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(5,443 Views)

We have a GUI that loads the labview test application. Each app initializes and closes its own instrument handles. The GUI has been used for several years with seeing this issue. I have been working on my app for several months and just started seeing this issue in the last couple weeks.  Makes me wonder if the controller is bad.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,438 Views)

Here are the screenshots

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,436 Views)

3NI Max before error.pngNI Max after error.pngrd time is the charm?NI MAX Timeout error.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,434 Views)

Do you know if any drivers have been upgraded recently or if there have been any changes made since your application last worked?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(5,431 Views)

I am not aware of any driver updates. One change we did make was to convert the SMU from a 4130 to a 4132.

Pat

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,429 Views)

Are you using the Real Time PXIe-8115?

Also, have you looked into this troubleshooting article?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/D57A25E7B74F31E8862577A7005426D7?OpenDocument&metc=MAXVISATim...

Lastly, are you able to post your code? I am interested in seeing specifically how you deal with your VISA resources.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,425 Views)

Yes I am using an 8115.

I did look at the troubleshooting article and did follow it.  Not sure if this article applies though. It is addressing not finding instruments at start up which is not my issue. I am seeing the instruments just fine at start up but after running my app NI max drops out.

Pat

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(5,413 Views)

Ok. Are you programming on the Real Time side?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,408 Views)