From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-5781 Baseband Transceiver and NI PXIe-7962R (FPGA)

Solved!
Go to solution

I am looking for an example code to transmit video using OFDM in LabVIEW between two different PXI units. I am having two sets of NI-5781 Baseband Transceiver and NI PXIe-7962R (FPGA) installed in two separate PXIs. One is only transmitter and another is be only receiver.

Is there any example code to trasnmit video using these above mentioned devices preferably through OFDM in LabVIEW.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(5,136 Views)

There won't be any examples specifically for doing this with FlexRIO, but I believe what you are looking for are the Modulation Toolkit OFDM examples.  If you look at the 5781 getting started LabVIEW project, you'll see that you pass raw waveform data to and from the FPGA (tx or rx).  You will need to build modulated baseband waveforms to send to the device for tx, and demodulate the waveform in the rx case.  This can all be done in software using the Modulation Toolkit.

Here are a couple of examples I found:

http://www.ni.com/example/28456/en/

http://www.ni.com/example/2831/en/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jon F.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 19
(5,118 Views)

Isn't there any example where two different Tx and Rx files are running on two different PXIs with those modules (or may be similar modules) for transmitting data between them. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(5,081 Views)

To add to what Jon was saying, there is an alliance partner that has developed a toolkit for implementing OFDM in the FPGA in real-time. 

http://www.olympengineering.com/en/catalog/ofdm_modem_library.html

Rob B
FlexRIO Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(5,072 Views)

How can I get this VI please?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(5,041 Views)

Joseph, can you elaborate a bit more on your application?  Is the idea to have Tx running on one PXI and Rx running on another PXI?  If so, this would work the same way as if the two devices were in the same chassis except the Rx vi would be running on one computer and the Tx on the other.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jon F.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(5,014 Views)

Yes one PXI will be Tx and another one will be Rx. But I am looking for examples to start with which has two separate files for Tx and Rx. The example should be related to PXIs. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(4,992 Views)
Solution
Accepted by josephkirmani

Hey Joseph,

If you look at the 5781 getting started project, you will see that the analog input and output sections of the code are separated.  You will want to remove the analog output code section from the Rx side and remove the analog input section from the Tx side.  At this point you would have functional code that would send waveforms from one chassis to the other, you will just need to add any modulation needed to the waveform before writing it to the device, and subsequently demodulate the waveform after receiving.

The examples are intended to be a starting point, and I believe you can get to your end goal without a whole lot of modification (removing the unneeded parts of the code and adding modulation).

Jon F.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(4,958 Views)

Hello BauerPower,

How can I get this toolkit. Can you please provide me the link for downloading it. Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(4,707 Views)

Hello Jon_F,

Many thanks for your reply. I did what you explained to me but unfortunately my design is not working. I am able to see the waveforms of my modulated signal before "Host to FPGA write" in Analog output. But unfortunately I did not able to see it at the receiver side after "FPGA to Host read".

So I would like to know that do I also need to modify FPGA vi. At present I am just modifying Host vi file.

Secondly is there any document/guide/example available regarding implementing any modulation scheme on NI-5781 baseband transceiver or on any similar product. Many thanks for your support and guidance.  

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(4,705 Views)