PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MXI-4 installation problem with my HP-Compaq DC5700 PC Win XP SP2

Hello,

I have an HP-Compaq DC5700 running Windows XP Service Pack 2.  This PC is a Pentium D dual core.

I have installed the NI-VISA 4 software and MXI-4 interface cards and an NI PXI-1042 chassis containing some PXI modules.  When I then reboot the PC I cannot see my PXI modules.

When I run Measurement & Automation EXplorer (MAX) I see Devices and Interface -> PXI System (External PC) -> Chassis 1 (PXI-1042), but I cannot see my PXI modules listed.

When I look in Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager, I notice what I guess are error icons (i.e.exclamation marks) reported for the following:

NI-PAL Devices <!> MXI-4 Connection Monitor

Other Devices <!> PCI Device

Upon checking the properties of the MXI-4 Connection Monitor I get the following device status:  "This device cannot start (Code 10)."

I have always successfuly configured and used this hardware (i.e. MXI-4 and PXI=-1042 and my PXI modules) on all other PCs in our lab.  However, I have tried this hardware on two separate HP-Compaq DC5700 systems and get the same problem each time.  I have also tried a MXI-3 system with these DC5700 systems and I get the same problem.

I have looked at the BIOS settings of the DC5700 and, as far as I can see, there is nothing relevant in there than can be changed.

Please can you advise if there are any known issues with using the MXI/PXI equipment with the HP-Compaq DC5700, or am I missing something during the setup of the system (unlikely as I have used the same installation process with all our other systems).  Is there a possible MXI/VISA compatibility issue with certain PCs?

Regards,
Darren

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,882 Views)

Hello Darren,

This is an issue which has been noted with several HP computers, and is currently still under investigation. However there are some things that you can try in order to fix this, please see the following knowledge base below.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/F69AB8D3B7C0261F8625723E007205FF?OpenDocument

Can you make sure that you are using the latest BIOS versions, and have followed the steps in the KB, and get back to me if none of this helps.

Regards

Hannah
NIUK & Ireland

Message 2 of 4
(5,862 Views)
Hi Hannah,

Thankyou for you response.  This has indeed resolved the issue. We had already updated the BIOS to the latest version, and are using the latest NI device drivers, neither of which had fixed the problem.  Running the ni-cdu1121.exe patch has fixed the problem.

Regards,
Darren

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,859 Views)
Hi,
I have an HP DC7700 with the same problem.

With this patch, now it works.

Thank
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,769 Views)