PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView coding when PXI off or not present

I have a PXI chassis with 6251 (DAQ), 8431 (RS-485), 6602 (timing), 8830 (RS-232), and 6541 (digital waveform gen).  I would like to be able to code in labview without those being attached or on.  If I pull up the DAQ assistant, I would like to be able to have those as options even though they're aren't on.  Is that possible?  I don't want to simulate them because I will be developing constantly and would need to switch back and forth between hardware and simulation in my code. 

I guess the real question is how do you code if you're away from the system?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,286 Views)

SirMutt,

If you would like to work on your program while not around your hardware, there are a few options. Although you do not want to simulate a device, this feature is very handy for  coding while not being around hardware. One note is that your 6251 is the only device which can be simulated.

You can always work on writing your program while away from your computer, but running it and debugging will require the hardware. I may suggest setting up a remote login feature (remote desktop) to your hardware so that you can work on your program away from the hardware, transfer it to the computer with hardware via email, etc and then run the program.

David L.
Systems Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,268 Views)
Hi Sirmutt,

Why not simulate. If you use the same PXI parameters on your PC where you develop your LV program you can run the program on your PC (with simulated value) and run the same program on your PXI hardware.

For your VISA devices you can use an alias. That way you can use a COM port as a RS-485 interface as long as the parameters are accepted.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,257 Views)
The current thread is the exact same as this one. Please continue any further discussion on the other thread, as it has more activity.
David L.
Systems Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,249 Views)