PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 7.1.1 RT Modules upgrade for MacOSX

I am doing LabVIEW 7.1 RT from MacOSX. If I upgrade the host Mac to LabVIEW 7.1.1 what will happen to the communication with the RT target. In contrast to the RT modules for Windows I have not seen an maintenance upgrade to turn the LV7.1 RT Modules fro MacOSX into LV7.1.1 Modules

Am I not allowed to upgrade the Host?

Thank you for the help.

Urs Lauterburg

Physics demonstrator
Physikalisches Institut
University of Bern
Switzerland

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,716 Views)
With LabVIEW RT on MacOSX you shouldn't upgrade to LV 7.1.1 as there is no LV RT 7.1.1 maintenance upgrade available. In this envrionment upgrading to LV 7.1.1 will break some functionality and will result in a version mismatch error with LabVIEW RT.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Jochen Klier
National Instruments Germany
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,696 Views)
Jochen,

Thank you for the reply to my inquiry. It happened that I did upgrade one of my PowerBook LabVIEWs to 7.1.1. However I occasionally I want interact with the RT-Controllers from it too. I guess I have never attempted to do this since upgrading otherwies I would have noticed the problems (Maybe after a long time of trying to nail the problem). So, it looks as if I have to downgrade to LV 7.1 again :-(( ! What's the best way to do this? Reinstall the entire LabVIEW from the original CD, then put the LabVIEW7.1 RealTime Modules for MacOS back on? Will I be able to load my accomplished LV 7.1.1 VIs into LV 7.1 again? I sure hope so! Would it not be possible to at least get a LabVIEW RT maintenance upgrade for 7.1 to 7.1.1 for MacOSX ? After all it sounds like a simple recompile to me.

Urs

Urs Lauterburg
Physikalisches Institut
University of Bern
Switzerland

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,692 Views)
Unfortunately there is really no LV RT 7.1.1 upgrade available for MacOSX and as LabVIEW 8 is released chances are extremly low that this patch will ever get developed.
To get a clean installation you should uninstall LabVIEW 7.1.1 and reinstall LabVIEW 7.1. You will be able to use your vis that were programmed in LV 7.1.1 in 7.1

Jochen
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,687 Views)
Jochen,

Thank you again for the reply. Yes, it's really unfortunate that NI dropped LabVIEW RealTime support for MacOSX not so long after introducing it! I guess there is no other option than downgrading my LV 7.1.1 the way you explained. This is however still much better than using a Windows machine.

Grüsse aus der Schweiz

Urs

Urs Lauterburg
Physics demonstrator
Physikalisches Institut
University of Bern
Switzerland

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,684 Views)
Thank you for your understanding. The demand for RT support for MacOSX was against our expectations extremely low so with a heavy heart we had to abandon our activities in this area. As you probably know LabVIEW was initially developed for Apple computers but today the market demands solution primarily for Windows PCs and as a market and customer oriented company we have to follow this call.

Best regards,

Jochen Klier
National Instruments Germany
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,679 Views)
Jochen,

Thanks for the reply again. Just one more comment to this: Of course I understand the importance of the commercial aspects. However, sometimes it pays off to pioneer something and not to completely follow the mainstream behavior, which is by definition never of outstanding quality. In respect to NI products for the Apple Macintosh NI could certainly do much more to market the availability of their products for this platform. This would mean to take a lead into a domain which is regarded to be non-profitable by marketing people. It does not mean that something which is not guaranteed to be profitable now won't be in the future ---> See LabVIEW as such!

Please communicate some of these thoughts to the marketing responsibles at NI!

Thank you

Urs

Urs Lauterburg
Physics demonstrator
Physikalisches Institut
University of Bern
Switzerland

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,677 Views)