PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jumbo frame support PXIe-8135RT

I'll give that a try.  Hope it works!  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(3,378 Views)

Please let me know if it does!

Rob B
FlexRIO Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(3,377 Views)

@BauerPower wrote:

GigE vision installs a different network stack on the target. It is possible (but untested) that installing the GigE Vision Driver on your PXI target would enable jumbo frames for normal network traffic. This isn't something that we currently support but if you want to try it, you could just install the GigE vision driver, sent your PXI target a jumbo packet, and see if you receive the packet properly with a LabVIEW TCP read.

Sorry, this won't work. The PharLap network stack does not support jumbo frames, so the GigE Vision driver filters them out before they get to the stack. GigE Vision traffic goes an alternate route.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(3,375 Views)

Well, that's wonderful news... It's a bit hard to believe that in 2014, there's any OS network stack that doesn't allow JF's.  I hadn't even contemplated the possibility when looking at RT PXI.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(3,373 Views)

@xl600 wrote:

Well, that's wonderful news... It's a bit hard to believe that in 2014, there's any OS network stack that doesn't allow JF's.  I hadn't even contemplated the possibility when looking at RT PXI.

Well, keep in mind that PharLap has its roots as an embedded real-time OS, and so the network stack functionality tends to lag quite a bit behind what you see on more modern desktop/server OSes. If it is any consolation, the new cRIO 9033 running NI Linux RT does fully support jumbo frames. Future products across the company leveraging this OS likely will as well...

Have you tried installing GigE Vision support to your target yet? If so, can you let me know if the driver associates with the on-board NIC by seeing the driver name on the console? (I can't recall what chipset the 8135 uses). If it does (or if you can plug a PXIe 8234 into a slot), you could potentially use some completely-non-NI-supported-or-tested VIs that can interface with the GigE Vision driver to send and receive packets. They are pretty rough though since they are not used for anything other than some testing purposes....

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(3,368 Views)

It would be very nice to see VxWorks come to the PXI platform to be honest.  This sim network is quite complicated and we already have a complete set of code available for VxWorks based machines.  I'm having to work around that with PharLap.

GigE Vision is installed...

LabVIEW Real-Time SMP Kernel: CPU cores found: 4
Initializing network...
Dev|Op M|Link|Driver|MAC Address |IP Address    /Mask|Adapter Mode            
* 1|Int |U   |i1000e|00802F17492D|192.168.42.21   /24|TCP/IP (static)         
Dev|Op M|Link|Driver|MAC Address |IP Address    /Mask|Adapter Mode            
  2|Int |-   |nigev |00802F17492E|192.168.1.1     /24|TCP/IP (static)         
System Web Server started
Device 00802F17492D is now connected
NI Scan Engine initialized.

So GigE Vision is taking over the interface.  I had originally uninstalled it because this sim network can't tolerate the GigEVision heartbeat messages.  I think I know how to turn that off in the ini file though.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(3,356 Views)

Hi,

See attached ZIP file. I think I've included all the pieces you need to send and receive packets through the API.

Message 17 of 18
(3,352 Views)

Thanks!  I'll play with that capability over the next few months to see if I can get it going.  Those VIs look pretty straight forward to use.  I don't have GigEVision installed on my host PC so they all complain about missing DLLs. I'll have to work with them directly on the 8135 once I get my FPGA reference problems worked out.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(3,346 Views)