PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IVI configuration on PXI-5411

I was programmatically connecting to a PXI-5411 today using the IVI-COM NIFGEN driver, in C++. I configured the IVI alias in MAX as per the instructions. I created the logical name and driver session, and picked the appropriate PXI hardware resource from the list (eg. PXI0:1:INSTR). The IVI driver failed to connect. I started the LabVIEW soft panel to ensure I could talk to the card, and I happened to notice that it listed the resource as "Daq::1". On a hunch I typed "Daq::1" into the driver session resource descriptor field (it was not listed in the enumeration). The driver then connected.

Where can I find the resource descriptor string within MAX?
Second question, how can I programatically read the available PXI resources and their corresponding resource descriptors?

Thanks,

Aaron
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,635 Views)
The PXI-5411 is based on the Traditional DAQ drivers rather than the DAQmx drivers. This is why there is a difference in the resource name. Daq::1 is the resource name for your 5411. This can be found in MAX under Traditional NI-DAQ Devices. You can also pass in the name of a virtual instrument or logical name that you configure with the IVI Configuration utility. The virtual instrument identifies a specific device and specifies the initial settings for the session. A logical name identifies a particular virtual instrument.

Resource Name               Description
DAQ::1                             Traditional NI-DAQ device, device number = 1
DAQ::2                             NI-DAQmx device, device name ="2"
myDAQmxDevice              NI-DAQmx device, device name ="myDAQmxDevice"
DAQ::myDAQmxDevice     NI-DAQmx device, device name ="myDAQmxDevice"
myLogicalName                IVI logical name or virtual instrument, name = "myLogicalName"

You should be able to use a method similiar in the KB below to programmatically find your device name.

How Can I Programmatically Determine the Device Name of My NI Modular Instrument Without Opening a Driver Session?
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/38BC4A54F7F99600862570690075350E?OpenDocument
Regards,

Chris Delvizis
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,621 Views)
Thanks for your help. I would like to lookup the hardware device name from my C++ code. I downloaded the VI attached to the 'How Can I Programmatically Determine the Device Name of My NI Modular Instrument Without Opening a Driver Session?' article, and looked inside to see what library the vi was calling. Unfortunately when I tried to drill into the vi calls I hit a password protection.

Could you either give me the library name, or the 'niModInst.vi' password?

Aaron
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,602 Views)
Aaron,

I won't be able to provide the password for the VI because the source is NI Confidential. I can, however, give you the library name. You can find niModInst.h in <IVI directory>\Include\ and niModInst.lib in <IVI directory>\Lib\msc\. You can also find much more detailed information and function references in the NI Signal Generators Help under NI Signal Generators Help » Programming » NI-FGEN Help » NI-FGEN LabVIEW Reference » VIs » Utility » NI-ModInst Help.

Message Edited by Chris_D on 01-14-2008 11:54 AM
Regards,

Chris Delvizis
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,585 Views)