From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IVI configuration on PXI-5411

I was programmatically connecting to a PXI-5411 today using the IVI-COM NIFGEN driver, in C++. I configured the IVI alias in MAX as per the instructions. I created the logical name and driver session, and picked the appropriate PXI hardware resource from the list (eg. PXI0:1:INSTR). The IVI driver failed to connect. I started the LabVIEW soft panel to ensure I could talk to the card, and I happened to notice that it listed the resource as "Daq::1". On a hunch I typed "Daq::1" into the driver session resource descriptor field (it was not listed in the enumeration). The driver then connected.

Where can I find the resource descriptor string within MAX?
Second question, how can I programatically read the available PXI resources and their corresponding resource descriptors?

Thanks,

Aaron
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,633 Views)
The PXI-5411 is based on the Traditional DAQ drivers rather than the DAQmx drivers. This is why there is a difference in the resource name. Daq::1 is the resource name for your 5411. This can be found in MAX under Traditional NI-DAQ Devices. You can also pass in the name of a virtual instrument or logical name that you configure with the IVI Configuration utility. The virtual instrument identifies a specific device and specifies the initial settings for the session. A logical name identifies a particular virtual instrument.

Resource Name               Description
DAQ::1                             Traditional NI-DAQ device, device number = 1
DAQ::2                             NI-DAQmx device, device name ="2"
myDAQmxDevice              NI-DAQmx device, device name ="myDAQmxDevice"
DAQ::myDAQmxDevice     NI-DAQmx device, device name ="myDAQmxDevice"
myLogicalName                IVI logical name or virtual instrument, name = "myLogicalName"

You should be able to use a method similiar in the KB below to programmatically find your device name.

How Can I Programmatically Determine the Device Name of My NI Modular Instrument Without Opening a Driver Session?
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/38BC4A54F7F99600862570690075350E?OpenDocument
Regards,

Chris Delvizis
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,619 Views)
Thanks for your help. I would like to lookup the hardware device name from my C++ code. I downloaded the VI attached to the 'How Can I Programmatically Determine the Device Name of My NI Modular Instrument Without Opening a Driver Session?' article, and looked inside to see what library the vi was calling. Unfortunately when I tried to drill into the vi calls I hit a password protection.

Could you either give me the library name, or the 'niModInst.vi' password?

Aaron
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,600 Views)
Aaron,

I won't be able to provide the password for the VI because the source is NI Confidential. I can, however, give you the library name. You can find niModInst.h in <IVI directory>\Include\ and niModInst.lib in <IVI directory>\Lib\msc\. You can also find much more detailed information and function references in the NI Signal Generators Help under NI Signal Generators Help » Programming » NI-FGEN Help » NI-FGEN LabVIEW Reference » VIs » Utility » NI-ModInst Help.

Message Edited by Chris_D on 01-14-2008 11:54 AM
Regards,

Chris Delvizis
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,583 Views)