From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to control and manage multiple USRPs with a PXI

Hi guys,

I am looking for a device in my current research work which can control multiple USRPs, and sending signals to each of them

separaely. Can I do this with a PXI system? If this is possible, which components of the PXI system are needed for this?

Please help me out here guys, I am desperately in need of such a thing!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,090 Views)

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out.  What USRPs are you working with?  And when you say 'multiple' how many do you want to try to control?  You should be fine with any RT system such as the NI PXI 8234 however, as you can see from the link, it's a dual port interface so it would depend on your configuration.  Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jonathan R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 5
(4,066 Views)

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the reply!

I would actually need 3-4 USRPs to control, not more than that. So, I guess I would need 2 NI PXI 8234 for that?

And, sorry for my ignorance, but what I can see that NI PXI 8234 is an ethernet controller, so maybe I would need

some other necessary modules like PXI chasis for it, is that right? Can you please let me know which are the other

modules I would need to get the NI PXI 8234 working?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,058 Views)

Hello,

I'd highly advise you to take a look at the PXI Advisor.  This site will guide you through your specific setup depending on your budget, needs, etc.  Please take a look through this site and let me know if you have additional questions.  

Thanks,

Jonathan R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 4 of 5
(4,035 Views)

If you're already using one or two USRPs, how are you controlling them now?  Unless you already have a PXI system that is running code in concert with the USRPs, I don't think it would be necessary.  You should take a look at http://www.ni.com/white-paper/13878/en/

Ethernet control is the easy part, extra PCI card for your desktop, a router/switch etc... many simple ethernet solutions exist.

Depending on what you're trying to do with the USRPs and what type of USRP you are using, you may need a 10MHz/1 PPS reference to sync your USRPs together.  You might take a look at the Ettus Research page too.  If you have the X300/X310 or the NI equivalent, take a look at this page http://www.ettus.com/kb/detail/usrp-x300-and-x310-configuration-guide  At the bottom is a diagram of a 8 radio setup.

-Tim

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,930 Views)