PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect a start button to a PXI backplane without enclosure?

I've got an 8 slot PXI backplane, the same of the NI 1042 chassis, without any enclosure.
I have to connect an ATX power supply to the backplane.
I see two connectors on the backplane, the first is named JATX1 and it clearly represents the ATX one (with 20 pins), the second is named JAUX1, with 14 pins, and I think it is necessary to connect a button to it, in order to enable the ATX power supply, as for desktop PCs.
Does anyone know which pair of the 14 pins of JAUX1 have to be connected to a start button?
Thanks for your answers.

Roberto N.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,707 Views)
Hey Roberto,

How in the world did you come across just the backplane? 🙂 Do you happen to have any pinout diagrams or pcb layouts? I could take a look at some of the traces to possibly figure it out. 

Regards,
Jordan Randall
National Instruments Italy
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,691 Views)

I bought the backplane from a NI supplier in Europe, because I cannot integrate the complete chassis inside my equipment.

Documentation is very poor, anyway I’ve tried some informations:

the JATX connector represents the ATX standard power supply connector;

when the pin number 7 (PS-ON) of the JAUX1 is connected to ground (pin number 6) ATX power supply is enabled and the backplane starts-up.

The backplane and the PXI devices are controlled from a desktop computer with a MXI-4 link, and the so composed PXI system works fine, but I’d like to know the complete pinout of JAUX1 and the meaning of signals as FAL, DEG, PRST, that should be present on it.

I saw that some JAUX1 pins represent the voltages of the backplane, I think for monitoring operations.

Thank you.

N. Roberto

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,654 Views)

Ciao Roberto,

I have confirmed with R&D that both the backplane of our PXI-1042 and PXI-1000B do not have the connections you speak of. The best solution would be to contact the place where you purchased the chassis.

Let me know if you find out any more details,

Jordan Randall
National Instruments Italy
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,608 Views)