From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I tell DAQmx to give me differential voltage readings?

We have wired our PXI-6221 card with differential voltage inputs.  I can't figure out how to configure the DAQmx voltage reading to supply 8 channels of differential voltage instead of 16 channels of single ended voltage.
thanks,

ngp12
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,580 Views)

Hi Ngp,

For a differential measurement, the analog input channels are in pairs of 8 (X, X+8) but are assigned according to the first channel in the pair. Ex – A differential measurement for AI0 would use AI0 & AI 8 as the differential pair. The same could be said for 1&9, 2&10, etc.

When you create a task in Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX), the software knows of this rule and allows you to choose the ‘terminal configuration’ appropriately. Therefore, for the 6221, channels 0-7 can be configured as differential OR all channels 0-15 can be configured as single ended. Please see the pictures below as example in MAX and LabVIEW.

Single Ended in MAX (notice channel 8 is selected)

Differential in MAX (Channels 0-7)

Differential Task in LabVIEW

Regards,

Message Edited by David L. on 10-23-2007 02:20 PM

David L.
Systems Engineering
National Instruments
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,570 Views)