PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I work without plugging PXI

Hello,

I know all the components of my system. Is it possible to start coding without plug the system ? It is a PXI-1045 chassis with PXI-8196 controller. I try to set the system in MAX but it's no mean to specify other cards like analog inputs (PXI-6224).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,504 Views)
Hi fayet,
which cards do you want to use? You can´t simulate the chassis and the controller and i think it is not necessary.
Mike

Message Edited by MikeS81 on 03-28-2008 04:45 PM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,502 Views)
I also have PXI-8360, PXI-4351.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,499 Views)

Hello Fayet,

Mike is correct; you shouldn't need to simulate the chassis or controller to simulate your input and output cards.  You can simulate your cards using the Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX) with the following steps.

1.  Assuming you have a Windows machine, open MAX by going to Start>> All Programs>> National Instruments>> Measurement & Automation

2.  Once MAX is open go to My System>> Devices and Interfaces>> NI-DAQmx Devices.

3.  Right click on NI-DAQmx Devices and go to Create New NI-DAQmx Device...>> NI-DAQmx Simulated Device.

4.  Find the module you want to simulate from the list, select the PXI chassis number and slot number you want to simulate the card in and click OK.

5.  Repeat steps 2-4 for each module.

By choosing the chassis and slot number you'll actually be using in the physical system you should be able to swap out the simulated devices for the actual devices when they become available to you without modifying your code.  You will just need to double check that none of your device names have changed.

I hope this helps get you started.  Have a great day.

Cheers,

Brooks
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,467 Views)
Thanks for your answer,
But if I don't see NI-DAQMX Devices on the list of Devices and Interfaces,does it mean I don't have NI-DAQMX ? In this way, there is another way to do it.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,464 Views)
Hello Fayet,

That's correct, if "NI-DAQmx Devices" doesn't show up then you probably don't have it installed.  If you'll be using LabVIEW 8.5 then you can download the latest version of NI-DAQmx 8.7.1.  If you have an older version of LabVIEW then you'll need to check this KnowlegeBase article to see which version of DAQmx you need:  NI-DAQ & LabVIEW Version Compatibility (for Windows).  Once you know what version you need you can go to www.ni.com/download, click Drivers and Updates, and seach for the appropriate driver "NI-DAQmx X.X"  After you download and install the appropriate driver you should be able to follow the steps in my previous post.

Cheers,
Brooks
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,457 Views)