PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I programatically determine the number of slots in my PXI chassis?

How can I programatically determine the number of slots in my PXI chassis?  I am using C++.  I would like to know how to find the number of slots using VISA (and not limited to NI-VISA, so that I can make this platform-independent).

Thanks,
Darren

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,810 Views)

Hi,

In MAX, we don't automatically identify our chassis, it's a manual process, so if there was a way of finding out exactly which chassis it was, then there'd be no need for this. (knowing the chassis model, then you could have a lookup table for the number of slots)

An alternative would be to look at the number of devices plugged into the chassis.

Are you on a MXI link, or directly on the controller?

The information for PXI devices can be found under the following Windows registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\PCI. All NI PXI devices will begin with "VEN_1093...."

If a MXI interface is used, you still get to all of the devices, but the PXI boards on the remote device will appear to have the slot number of the MXI card. THat still atleast gives you a number of devices though.

Does that help?

Can I ask why you need to do this?

The above information came from here : http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/2342900AED02975A86256BD800764C8B?OpenDocument

Thanks

Sacha Emery
National Instruments (UK)

// it takes almost no time to rate an answer Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,791 Views)