PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I have redundancy (Active / Standby) using 2 cFPs

I have 2 cFPs (cFP2100). I want one cFP to be active. When cFP 1 fails, the second takes control and becomes active.
-AL☼K
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,840 Views)

ALK,

There is no inherent feature of the Compact FieldPoint unit to be able to have this type of redundant dual controller. But at an application level you could probably create this behavior.

Depending on what kind of “failure” you trying to protect against there could be several different approaches. Either way you would have to have your two controllers managing two separate but nearly identical banks. Then have the backup bank monitor the first bank and if/when your first bank fails, the second one kicks in and runs the same code.

If, for instance, you are worried about network failure, you can use the network watchdog and if the network fails then have a something like a digital line go high that the second bank is monitoring to know when to take over.

For other types of failure, you will want to look at similar types of schemes, but as I mentioned there will be no inherent way to do this with FieldPoint. I hope this has helped, if you have any more questions about this feel free to post back.

-GDE

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,833 Views)
By the way, in the future, for FieldPoint issues you will probably want to post in the FieldPoint specific forum. That way people who work more with FieldPoint on a daily basis have a better chance of offering their advice.

-GDE
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,828 Views)