From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB access using PXI-8106

I am using a trivial program to use GPIB located on the controller PXI-8106 and connected to a temperature monitor device (Lake Shore). Usually I used the same code directly on the PC, connected by means of old GPIB interface.That worked and my I/O VISA session probed the device properly as GPIB0::18::INSTR . Now, apparently the controller does not sense the GPIB. Apparently, through MAX, the controller works properly and accesses correctly the othe two boards on the chassis (PXI-6143 and PXI-6733). MAX sees Built-in GPIB "GPIB0" into Devices and Interfaces, is it correct ? (it is parallel to the chassis, shouldn't be seen into the Chassis instead ?)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,842 Views)

Hi Ettore,

so no GPIB port is detected in MAX for the 8106?

Is something detected in Windows Device Manager (if the controller has Windows installed)?

Is driver NI-488.2 installed?

bye,

Licia

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,826 Views)

Indeed MAX sees Built-in GPIB "GPIB0" under Devices and Interfaces (status  Present). But, if I right click on it, the access functions as Scan for Instruments and  Interactive Control ... are disabled. Hence it is clear why the VISA I/O does not probe the instrument connected to GPIB. Yes the NI 488.2 RT 3.1.2 is instaleld in the PXI-8106.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,823 Views)

Hi Ettore,

if the PXI is running a RT OS, this behaviour is expected.

See here for further explanations on how to communicate with a GPIB device.

I hope this helps!

Bye,

Licia

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,813 Views)

Oh yes the procedure seems to be reasonable, I followed it and into VISAInteractive control I can see finally the device

visa://141.108.12.54/GPIB0::12::INSTR

I can select it and it goes into the bottom box (Resurces to Open)

But in the upper dialog box  (Machine I/O) the system shows localhost only. As I select the wanted PXI after mumble mumble... I get an error

(VISA error Hex 0xBFFF00A7) the remote machine does not exixt or is not accepting  any connections....

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,809 Views)

Hi Ettore,

try to reset the PXI RT target network address, ensuring it is configured properly (for example automatic DHCP address if connected to the network).

Bye,

Licia

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,800 Views)

The IP of the target should be properly configurated (as static). I had already operated severale RT applications.

As I select the correct name of the PXI in the upper box (machine), the box in the middle is no more capable of resolving the devices. 

target.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,792 Views)