From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB Controller

I am setting up a system which will consist of a PXI Chasis, a seperate PC, and a Power supply controlled via GPIB interface.  With the GPIB needed for the Power Supply, am I understanding things right that I can use a NI PXI-GPIB card instead of the traditional card for remote control of PXI like the NI PXI-PCI8336.  I would then communicate from the PC to the PXI system and the Power supply through the same GPIB interface.  Am I missing something or would that make sense?  Or will I need both cards in the PXI system?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,557 Views)
mnwild14,

Welcome to the discussion forums.  For your particular situation you can use the 8336 (MXI-4) to communicate between the PXI chassis and the PC.  If you choose not to use MXI-4 you will needed a controller in slot 1 of the PXI chassis in order to control the chassis and the cards inside the chassis.  Depending on what type GPIB card (PXI or PCI), you then can control the power supply.
A_Ryan
AES
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,545 Views)
  Thanks for the information, that is kind of what I figured I would end up doing.  I will probably just use USB to control the power supply directly from the computer.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,542 Views)