cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[FlexRIO] Is it possible to define two IO modules for my FlexRIO

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

I'm developing an application to perform a scan test on a digital ASIC and have a number of PXI chassis' each with a FlexRIO installed. I have two flavours of FAM the NI6581 DIO & the NI6583 DIO. I want to write the LV FPGA code so that the application could use either FAM depending on which one is fitted to the FlexRIO. Is it possible to define the two IO FAMS in the LV FPGA project and in the code detect which FAM is fitted and from there select which IO to use?

Thanks,

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,483 Views)
Solution
Accepted by nickstorton

Nick,

While you couldn't define 2 FAMs under a single FPGA target in the project, you could do the following:

1. Create two FPGA targets, one for each IO Module

2. Write two separate FPGA VIs, one for each IO Module

3. Compile the two bitfiles

4. Write a host VI that uses the FlexRIO host interface VIs to check what adapter module is attached.

5. Deploy the proper bitfile depending on which adapter module is attached.

Keep in mind, we don't recommend hot-swapping the FlexRIO adapter modules so you would want to power of your system each time you switched adapter modules.

Hope this helps!

Rob B
FlexRIO Product Manager
Message 2 of 3
(4,465 Views)
Solution
Accepted by nickstorton

I agree with everything Rob said, except you should use the System Configuration API rather than the FlexRIO Host Interface to see what FAM is connected to a specific RIO target.

Message 3 of 3
(4,461 Views)