PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External clock source

I'm using the PXI-5412 (FGen) and PXI-6132 (DAQmx) in a PXI-1033 chassis programmed with .Net.

The 5412 has an internal 100MHz clock source, the 6132 a 20MHz clock source. I'm wondering if it is possible to use the PXI-5412 clock source as an external clock source for the PXI-6132 card, as it would give me more choices to find the desired sample rate for my data aquisition.

If possible, what do I have to do with FGen to export this signal from the 5412 and use it as an external source for the 6132 with DAQmx in .Net?

I found the Property MasterTimebaseSource in the DAQmx Timing class, not sure if this is the right one. For FGen I have no idea at the moment.

Patrick

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,393 Views)

Hello petti,

the PXI-6132 (page 6) accept only inputs with 20 MHz, so the 100 MHz clock can not be used as an clock for this device. If you want to synchronize the PXI-5421 and a S-Series card, then use the PXI_CLK10 as a reference clock and share a start trigger to start both devices. Each device can then have its own sampling rate, because they made a PLL to the PXI_CLK10 from the chassi.

If you look into this KB then you find, that your S-series do not support this.

Can my S Series Device Synchronize its Timebase to the 10 MHz Clock on the PXI Backplane?

In this case you can only work with sharing the start trigger and a clock which is not faster then 20 MHz. Export the clock from the S-Series and use this clock for the FGEN and make a PLL to it.

best regards
Alexander
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,326 Views)