PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exception at msvcrt.dll from NI-SWITCH and NI-DMM soft front panel

I have a tester running LabView 7.1 that has been running well. Today during a test the operator got an exception indicating that there was a problem with a call from ni_switch32.dll (LV_niSwitch_InitWithTopology) to the MS msvcrt.dll. I cannot bring up NI-DMM or NI-SWITCH soft front panels without the same error.

The error from LV indicates that an exception occurred within external code called by a Call Library node and points to niSwitchInitializewithTopology.vi as the location where LabView memory may have been corrupted. An additional exception is raised indicating that there has been an error calling msvcrt.dll with a prompt to contact MicroSoft. The tester is not connected to a network. It is this same exception that is raised when trying to run NI-SWITCH.

Does anyone have suggestions? What further information would be helpful?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Tom
Tom Rhoads
Goodrich FUS
Vergennes, Vermont
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,722 Views)

Hi Tom,

To my knowledge, Msvcrt.dll is the Microsoft Visual C Run-Time library.  These runtime library files are required for proper execution of many programs.   The Microsoft Web site notes the files Msvcrt.dll, Msvcrt20.dll and Msvcrt40.dll are runtime library files that are required for proper execution of many programs. If you have deleted these files from your system or they were not included in the installation of a program, you may need to manually install them. 

To assist you with this issue, one suggestion would be to verify the Msvcrt.dll is installed in the windows\system32 folder.   Next, I would verify you are using the updated Msvcrt.dll from Microsoft.  You can check out Microsoft's web site for more information on the versions of this dll.  Lastly, it is possible while installing software the Msvcrt.dll was in use and not able to be overwritten, which may cause these errors.  Closing all programs and attempting to repair the installations of LabVIEW and the drivers you mentioned may also be worth troubleshooting.  If you surmise there may be a corruption within the computer, then I would suggest uninstalling and re-installing the above software.  Let me know if this helps.

Chad Erickson
Switch Product Support Engineer
NI - USA

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,713 Views)

Thank you for the reply, Chad. The file msvcrt.dll is is the C:\Windows\system32 folder, as it should be so the problem is not that the file does not exist. Here are some further details:

There is a MicroSoft (the tester is running XP) exception raised at startup. When I choose to view details of the error I see additional information indicating that the exception was raised from within the application NIMAX.exe at module name msvcrt.dll (version 7.0.2600.1106). NIMAX does open, but any further action attempted from NIMAX results in the same error message.

From LabView, the exception occurs when niSwitchInitilizeWithTopology.vi is called. I get the Microsoft exception which indicates that the exception was raised from within the application LabVIEW.exe at module name hungapp (version 0.0.0.0).

I am running LabView 7.1. The tester was built in India and has no peripherals (although I do have 2 USB ports to add peripheral).

This tester is heavily used between 2 groups, and it is likely that one or more low level file was corrupted. I have tried System Restore, going back to several weeks before the problem started. I have also tried the MicroSoft sfc /scannow with no success.

I can reload LabView 7.1 and the drivers and post again, but I am not optimistic that will resolve the issue. In the meantime, I would appreciate any further assistance that you could provide. I haven't run across this problem myself in the past.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Rhoads
Goodrich FUS
Vergennes, Vermont
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,689 Views)
I removed NI-Switch and reinstalled it. Now I am getting errors in the same places (at reboot and in the same place from the LabView code), but the MS exception is now reported as an NI-MAX.exe error in both places. The LV error is the same.
Tom Rhoads
Goodrich FUS
Vergennes, Vermont
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,680 Views)

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the update.  Have you attempted to uninstall and reinstall MAX?

Chad Erickson
NI - USA

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,676 Views)

Repairing NI-MAX did the trick. It turns out that when you got to "Add or Remove" and click where it says "click here for support" there is a repair option. That seemed safer to me, so I used that option to update from the CD and everything seems to be working O.K. now.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

Tom Rhoads
Goodrich FUS
Vergennes, Vermont
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,670 Views)

Hi Tom,

It's great to hear you're good to go!  Good luck in the future.

Chad Erickson
NI - USA

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,661 Views)