From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error occurred while executing niRFSG Arbitrary Waveform Generator

Hi,

I am trying to execute the niRFSG Arbitrary Waveform Generator.vi.

The inputs at the front panel are as follows -

Resource name : PXI1 Slot2

Center frequency : 1GHz

Power level : -20dBm

Selected waveform : Double Sideband

IQ rate : 1M

NI PXI 5652 RF Signal Generator is connected to slot 2.

When I try to run the program, I can see an error generated after the first step, which is "niRFSG Initialize.vi". The error code is "FFFCFiE4" and the error message says "Device identifier is invalid".

If I select "S2SignalGen" in the Resource name instead of "PXI1 Slot2", I face the same error.

I am using Lab View 2011 and NIPXIe-1075

Could someone please tell me what is wrong?

Thanks so much,

Sharmi

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(4,928 Views)

Hello Sharmi,

I will be more than happy to help you.

I'm thinking that we don't know what our device is named. Can you send me a screenshot of all the devices in MAX under Devices and Interfaces. Please expand the chassis in there as well.

Thank you,

Vimal

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(4,915 Views)

Hi Vimal,

I selected a different slot, "PXI 15" (which has a PXI 5652 connected to it) and then I did not get the error.

I am new to Lab View and PXI so I am trying out the niRFSG examples.

I have one more question, when I am running  the RFSG Single Tone Generation, I can see the program executes without error but is there a way to view the output waveform in PXI.

Thanks so much,

Sharmi 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(4,909 Views)

Hi!

The only way you can see the wfm you are genearting is to use an RFSA and connect the output of the RFSG to it. Then you can run a Soft Front Panel (SFP) for RFSA and acquire the wfm you generated through your RFSG. 

You can find the SFP in Start>> National Instruments>> NI RFSA.

Thank you,

Vimal

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(4,907 Views)

Hi Vimal, 

Thanks so much, I found the RFSA soft panel.

Could you please tell me how do I connect the output to RFSA panel? In the SIngle Tone Generation vi, the last step closes the RFSG session. Should I connect the instrument handle from the penultimate step(Configure Output Enabled) to RFSA to acquire the output?

Also I did not find any examples on RFSA

Thanks so much,

Sharmi

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(4,905 Views)

Hi,

What are the RFSA and RFSG devices you have? Please give me all the product numbers (i.e 5652, 5611, 5450 etc.).

I want you to physically connect the RF OUT on the RFSG to the RFIN on the RFSA with an RF cable. Then you will generate a single tone using the RFSG Single Tone Generation.vi example. At the same time, you will run the RFSA SFP and it should capture what you are generating. You cannot bring the SFP into LV, it is its own application.

If you go to Start>> National Instruments>> NI RFSA, are there examples in there? If not, can you got to MAX, expand the Software tab and take a look at what version of RFSA you have. Did you make sure to install RFSA after you installed LabVIEW?

In the NI Example Finder (when in LabVIEW, Help>> Find Examples..), under Hardware Input and Output >> Modular Instruments, do you see RFSA or RFSG in there?

Thank you,

Vimal 

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(4,902 Views)

Hi,

I have 5652,5601,5622; 5630; and 5450,5611,5652.\

If I go to Start>> National Instruments>> NI RFSA, I can see examples under a folder "C" but not in Lab View. I checked under Software tab in MAX, it is RFSA 2.5

I am not sure if it was installed after Lab View as I join dthe project last week.

In the NI Example Finder (when in LabVIEW, Help>> Find Examples..), under Hardware Input and Output >> Modular Instruments, I can see RFSA or RFSG in there

Thanks so much,

Sharmi

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(4,900 Views)

"I can see RFSA or RFSG", can or cannot?

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(4,898 Views)

I can see both RFSA and RFSG.

Sharmi

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(4,896 Views)

So, you can see the folders, but there are not examples in them?

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(4,894 Views)