From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error! Can not initialize IDE hard drive (ETS installation on an ASUS motherboard)

Hi folks,

I'm trying install LVRT 8.2 on an ASUS P5B motherboard. The CPU is the Intel LGA775 2.4GHz core 2 duo. I formatted
the IDE hard drive to FAT 32 and created a floppy to test compatibility of the system with LabVIEW Real-time. When I
boot to the test floppy I get the message:

Error! Can not initialize IDE hard drive. Check hardware configuration ...

The program proceeds to detect the BCM5751 gigE card and then stops with the message

System state: Configuration errors.

There is nothing wrong with the hard drive - it passed when I transferred it to a different computer and ran the validation
test.

Has anybody faced this problem, and if so, how did you solve it? I tried upgrading the BIOS to no avail. 

Thanks,

Chatonda Mtika
Algis Corporation
Vancouver, Canada
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,188 Views)

Hi Chatonda,

This error message could be caused by a compatibility error with LabVIEW Real-Time.  Please take a look at this KnowledgeBase Article that explains how to check for PC compatibility with LabVIEW Real-Time.

As a side note, LabVIEW Real-Time does not currently offer support for dual core processors.  For more information regarding this, please take a look at this.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.  Best of luck on  your application, and have a great day!!

Message Edited by cphuong on 01-17-2007 03:34 PM

Regards,
Ching P.
DAQ and Academic Hardware R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,185 Views)

Hi Ching,

Here's what appears on the screen when I run the evaluator

===========

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz

PCI BIOS found. version: 3.0 Hardware Mechanism: 1

Total Memory: 1023.30Mb

Starting up file system...        failed

Error! Can not initialize IDE hard drive. Check hardware configuration.

Note: LabVIEW Real-Time supports  ......... (continues on)

This to me shows that the test fails right after memory check. The question is

what scenarios would lead to a failure at this point in the process?

Regards,

Chatonda

Message Edited by chatonda on 01-18-2007 06:28 PM

Message Edited by chatonda on 01-18-2007 06:31 PM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,167 Views)

Hi Chatonda,

It seems that the problem the utility is running into is that it believes the file system is not compatible with LabVIEW Real-Time.  Please take a look at the following hard drive requirements, and make sure you system meets them.

Hard Drive Requirements:

• Parallel ATA (IDE)

• FAT32 File system on the primary partition of hard drive of the desktop PC

Note: Many desktop PCs are now available with Serial ATA hard drives. LabVIEW Real-Time and LabWindows/CVI Real-Time do not support Serial ATA, however the following options may be available depending on the specific desktop PC.

• A Parallel ATA drive can be installed and the Serial ATA controllers can be disabled in the BIOS.

• The BIOS may have the option of setting the Serial ATA controller to a mode making the drive appear to be Parallel ATA. This may referred to with different names such as "PATA", "Legacy", "Compatiblity", or other names. An example of this mode is discussed in section 4.1 of "Intel® 82801EB (ICH5) and Intel® 82801ER (ICH5R) Serial ATA Controller - Programmer’s R.... Some PC BIOS may not support this mode, such as the Dell Precision 360.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.  Best of luck on setting up your system, and have a great day!!

Regards,
Ching P.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,156 Views)
Hi Ching,

I'm using an IDE drive. The drive has already been formatted to FAT32. Just to prove a point, I
conncted this drive to a single board computer that is compatible with LabVIEW RT and ran the
evaluator program. The program was able to see the hard drive.

I know the IDE interface on the new motherboard works because I see the hard drive when I
boot into DOS. In fact, I did the formatting while the hard drive was connected to the ASUS (new)
motherboard.

Thanks,

Chatonda

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,154 Views)
Hi Chatonda,

You may need to turn off one of the cores on your dual core machine.  Like I said before, LabVIEW RT does not support dual core/processors PCs. 

Please let me know if turning off one of the processors does not resolve the issue.

Best of luck on the application, and have a great day!!
Regards,
Ching P.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,131 Views)
Hello!

I just bumped into this thread as I have exactly the same problem... My mainboard is Asus P5B-VM SE motherboard with Core2Quad processor installed and 2GB of RAM. I'm trying to set up RT target here with LabVIEW 8.5 (so multi-core processor should be no problem). Unfortunately, ETS operating system does not see the IDE (PATA) hard disk, which is Seagate 120 GB ATA 100 drive... No SATA devices are connected. Of course, the disk works fine, as BIOS detects it flawlessy and installation of Windows, for example, is not a problem. I created only one partition on this disk, namely 15 GB FAT32, while the remaining 105 GB is unformatted and is not a part of any partition. The same effect is if the partition is empty as well as there is Windows there.

Also, I tried to run the target with 2GB hard drive instead and again BIOS detects it, while validation procedure of the LV RT ETS program says that "Can not initialize IDE hard drive...". The problem is definitely with the mainboard and I suspect that it might be something with the PATA controller on the motherboard, which is JMB368 from JMicron Technology Corporation. Disabling it makes detection of IDE disks impossible even under BIOS. I also made multiple BIOS changes, such as disabling detection of SATA drives, soundcard, network interface etc., but it does not help.

The RT target in general works fine, i.e. it is detected under MAX, which means that networking is OK, I can prepare it for changing the network configuration from the default 0.0.0.0 address and reboot it remotely, but no changes are made (which is logical, as the disk is not detected and no RT program can be uploaded there).

Any ideas and remarks would be much appreciated...

Thanks in advance!

Piotr Bilski
Faculty of Electronics and Information Technologies
Warsaw University of Technology

Message Edited by alien77 on 03-16-2008 06:39 AM
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,997 Views)

Hello.

I have had my fair shares of getting my system working as an ETS target, but I pushed through it, so it is possible. 🙂 Anyway, I found early on that for the system to recognize my IDE drive I had to turn off UDMA (or Ultra DMA).  The setting should be in the BIOS as an option.  I don't know why it would need to have that off, but I would give it a shot and see if you can have LabVIEW RT recognize that drive properly.  I hope that helps.

Michael   

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,948 Views)